What does a Marshall Bluesbreaker sound like? clips anyone?

bikehorn

• Members

as far as old Marshalls go(like pre JCM era) everyone gets a big hard-on for the Superleads and stuff, but I kind of always had this thing for the oddball Marshalls. Ever since the first time I saw a Bluesbreaker combo I've wanted to play one. It's such a unique design in the Marshall lineup...tube rectified, 2x12" combo with tremolo and a KT66 output stage. Probably was not so unique at the time of its production, but it is now.

I've never heard one in my life, except for listening to Clapton play a 4x10" model on the Beano album. I like that sound, but I want to hear more of what this amp can do...so I can perhaps consider owning one. I like to play fuzzed up old school blues rock(think Humble Pie, the Faces, early AC/DC, Stones, Who etc) and that's probably what I would be using it for most. How is the clean sound? Also I know nobody seems to care about Marshall tremolos very much, but I have to ask, what's it like? Who here uses one?

marshall.jpg

• Members

what makes you think clapton played a 4x10 version - i've always understood it was the 2x12 version...

the clean sound is marshalls best IMO ...(well okay I used to play a 2x12 with a jtm 45 head - so a little different)... but it's warm and smokey.. with a sweet treble... not as cutting as a 1987/1959

For your style of music i think it would suit you well....just think of it as a jtm45 combo..

However there are some restrictions in sound due to the shalow nature of the combo and the bass can get a little wooly and fuzzy at higher gain settings...also bear in mind this amp will only do old school gain...think ac/dc when cranked but a bit looser

One of my favourite marshalls

• Members

I've got one. Mine is real clean. Very little gain unless cranked, and that is LOUD. It has a great woody tone with a real round note and it has a nice edge to it. My tremolo has been taken out of the circuit, so I cannot comment on that.

I use a combination of dirt boxes with it. At any given time I'll run a BB Preamp, Zendrive, Keeley Compressor, Keeley TS-9 Baked Mod or a MI Audio Crunch Box.

It loves pedals, I run a little delay and it sings. I cannot recommend this amp highly enough. I also own a JTM45. I don't need anything else. I've gone through my share of high gainers and am back to Marshall Plexi's.

Sorry, I don't have any clips.:cool:

BB-6.jpg

• Members

what makes you think clapton played a 4x10 version - i've always understood it was the 2x12 version

However there are some restrictions in sound due to the shalow nature of the combo and the bass can get a little wooly and fuzzy at higher gain settings...also bear in mind this amp will only do old school gain...think ac/dc when cranked but a bit looser

One of my favourite marshalls

Well, I have no concrete proof of him using the 1961(4x10), but what I've read suggests that since the 'Beano' sound is apparently hard to nail with a 1962(2x12) it's possible/likely that he he used a 1961. Who really knows....anyway I like 4x10" amps.

What you're describing sounds a lot like what I'm looking for. I recently got my first fuzz pedal, a germanium tonebender/fuzz face clone. Felt a bit like a rite of passage, now I can make all those crazy rock 'n' roll sounds I've been wanting to forever. It works great with my Traynor. Also have a tubescreamer, which should sound nice with it. Oh, and I only want old-school gain...I have an intense disdain for 'modern' guitar sounds...the 'tight', noisegated chunky palm-mute thing everyone likes lately is not my thing.

Archived