Replacing speakers...(wattage question)

bohemoth

• Members

i've currently got 2 cabinets: a marshall 1960a and a peavey 412f. I'm sure you all know the specs on the marhsall, but the peavey is a HUGE oversized cab with 4 unmarked 50 watt eminence speakers. These speakers are very unimpressive and it is way too bassy and wide open, and I want to replace the speakers with vintage30s. I'd like to run them in a full stack, but the wattage difference between the 60 watt vintage30s and the 75 watters in my 1960a might be too much. Right now when i try to run the two cabinets together the marshall completely overpowers the peavey and i don't want the same thing to happen after dropping so much money into it. Putting 75 watt speakers isnt really an option because i'm set on vintage 30s.

• Members

i've currently got 2 cabinets: a marshall 1960a and a peavey 412f. I'm sure you all know the specs on the marhsall, but the peavey is a HUGE oversized cab with 4 unmarked 50 watt eminence speakers. These speakers are very unimpressive and it is way too bassy and wide open, and I want to replace the speakers with vintage30s. I'd like to run them in a full stack, but the wattage difference between the 60 watt vintage30s and the 75 watters in my 1960a might be too much. Right now when i try to run the two cabinets together the marshall completely overpowers the peavey and i don't want the same thing to happen after dropping so much money into it. Putting 75 watt speakers isnt really an option because i'm set on vintage 30s.

Power handling has little to do with sensitivity, which is a good measure of how loud a speaker will be relative to others at least from the same manufacturer. Since the V30 has a 100 db SPL 1w/1m rating, whereas the G12T-75 has a 97 dB rating, the V30 cab will be louder. Of course, one cab is going to align better with your ears, so it may seem louder regardless. Also, you might think about mixing the speakers from both cabs in an X pattern which is used in the Bogner Uberkab (G12T-75s/V30s). That way, both your cabs' tone should be about the same and the sound field will be a lot more even.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :)

• Members

i thought the eminence were poor as well.

those webers are impressive.

i go with a slightly higher wattage rating than the individual speakers is getting. like 50 wats would get a 75 watt speaker. 22 watts would get a 30.

i think there is something called a 2/3 rds law.

Archived