Is There a Wrong Way to Write Music?

veil

• Members

There is no fixed method to composition. As such, it is difficult to say one method is more 'right' than another.

However, some yield better results than others. Like Deryck says, if you write without heart, the chances are your results will be poor. Does this mean this is a 'wrong' way to write music? Objectively, I'd say no. No one likes it, but I don't think that necessarily makes it categorically 'wrong'.

My answer then, is no.

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

There is no fixed method to composition. As such, it is difficult to say one method is more 'right' than another.

However, some yield better results than others. Like Deryck says, if you write without heart, the chances are your results will be poor. Does this mean this is a 'wrong' way to write music? Objectively, I'd say no. No one likes it, but I don't think that necessarily makes it categorically 'wrong'.

My answer then, is no.

I disagree with you, Daris. Anyone can pull out a rhyming lexicon and write a song. But it will suck - big time.

I think what most people get wrong is that songwriting is only about getting words together that'll fit to the song.

Well, that's wrong. Songwriting is about expressing your emotions or thoughts - things that affect you or things that you would like to affect others.

Ever asked why, like, 99,9% of all Lovesongs in the Popgenre are the worst ever written? It's because these lyrics aren't inspired by love - they're inspired by money. That makes me sad, because for me, writing lyrics is my way to express things I usually couldn't.

You know, in real life, I'm not good at making myself clear.

One day, I sat down in front of a computer and started writing.

That was when I was, like, 12 or so. It weren't songs, it were stories. I started writing songs in february 2002.

Everytime I give someone my stories and songs, they're like, "Wow, I'd never expected that from you."

That makes me proud, it satisfies me - and I'm sure, getting good response from anyone satisfies everyone of us (that's why I hate when someone posts lyrics here, and no one replies...:rolleyes: )

I hate it when I hear someone saying "Uhhh, he/she's so emotioal...so deep...and his writing's great!" about those selfless record company-slaves.

I mean, I worked hard for gaining my skills - I see myself as a quite good writer; correct me if I'm wrong (:rolleyes: ) - and these people did, like, nothing.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit over-concerned about the meanings of a good writing, but that may be just because I suck at guitar...:rolleyes:

Just my .02$

BTW: Please check out my new lyrics - I'll post them soon...;)

• Members

I could go philosophical and say it's wrong if it's too painful for the writer and those who endure him/her. I mean, rubbing your back with steel wool in the shower might get it clean, but...

Seriously, though, I don't think there's a wrong way to write a song. There are wrong REASONS, but no wrong path to take. This goes for composing too. I used to think goofing off with samplers and such wasn't really composing... Nowadays I think any way to write stuff or make noise can be worthwhile. If it's good for the person making it, it just might be good for somebody else. And even if nobody cares, it doesn't make it "wrong".

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

Bad songwriting does mean wrong songwriting.

B]

Thanks. I'd just like to add to Anomandaris' statement that I meant to differentiate between Bad and Wrong. I'm going to provide definitions from dictionary.com in an effort to clarify. Granted, a textbook definition might not be able to fully encompass the weight of certain words or ideas, but hopefully this will be a good starting point on which we can establish conclusions for ourselves.

Wrong (r

Archived