JCM 2000 Mods

dr_love6977

• Members

What's out there? I want to hotrod my DSL 50 in the vein of the high-gain mods for the Marshall's of yesteryear. I already had her rebiased for 6L6's, which made it a lot less muddy and more clear, and goddamn did it warm up the thin cleans. Buuuuuutttttt......... I want this thing to scream a lot more. So what's available to me?

• Members

i sent my TSL60 to FJA mods and had him hook it up.

he installed a mercury magnetics OT and choke and then modded it further somehow- i just told him to make it scream and make it scream he certainly did:D

i think this thing has just about any marshall tone out there in it.

it sounds great - low gain/mid gain/ high gain- it does it all and does it well.

in short- it kicks ass.

(he did not change the tubes at all- only replaced one pre-amp tube that was bad with a chinese 12ax7)

• Members

6l6's seem to contradict a hotrodded marshall tone of yesteryear. i'm thinking you should maybe give a mesa a try.

Not really, Mesa's run 6L6s stock, 5150s run on 6L6s. I've seen high-gain 800s that use 6L6s. I don't want to buy another amp (rather, I can't afford one as of now,) and I prefer the sound of the 6L6 above the EL34, and I want my amp to have more balls.

• Members

What's out there? I want to hotrod my DSL 50 in the vein of the high-gain mods for the Marshall's of yesteryear. I already had her rebiased for 6L6's, which made it a lot less muddy and more clear, and goddamn did it warm up the thin cleans. Buuuuuutttttt......... I want this thing to scream a lot more. So what's available to me?

I also have a JCM 2000 and wanted to 'beef' up the sound so I ended up puttting some EL34 Groove tubes in it and I couldn't be happier. I would recommend getting a high distortion rating on the GT's. I have a 100 watt head thouhg and don't know how that would effect things.

You can check out my guitar/amp sound at the link below.

• Members

Not really, Mesa's run 6L6s stock, 5150s run on 6L6s. I've seen high-gain 800s that use 6L6s. I don't want to buy another amp (rather, I can't afford one as of now,) and I prefer the sound of the 6L6 above the EL34, and I want my amp to have more balls.

Exactly why I told you to give a Mesa a try, because those things come with 6L6's stock and they are known for exceptional gain and still have great clean channels. They also have the high-gain british styled amps, though they aren't very popular. I'm getting the impression you are trying to mod the amp to do a sound it wasn't designed for. I've seen british amps with 6l6's too, and usually its just an attempt to generate the typical american high gain sound. Buying another amp now may be prohibitive, but I would imagine that saving up and buying an amp that does what you want in stock form-and having 2 amps-would be better than trying to mod an amp and possibly not getting what you want and having lost time/money.

• Members

The only mod I have done to my DSL 100 so far is the C12 cap mod to 100pf to make the red and green channels match a little better since they share an eq. I got to get a hotplate the DSL sounds way better with the volume up, the sound really starts to fill in. Next I will probably try to do the MM OT and choke install. I am starting to like my DSL more and more, keep in mind I have a JVM410H too, DSL just has to be loud.

Archived