Skateboarders !!! I need your help.

Slaytallica

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
O i was just thinking since she is 12 and a girl it seems like a littler board would be better. But i guess since this is her first board getting something bigger would probally be better. More stabilty. I started on a 8.0 but thinking back i don't think it would of matter what i had cause all i did was push around and stuff. it was about my 3rd board when i started progressing

Didn't think of it that way, a 7.75 would probably feel like an 8.0 to a 12 year old girl... :idea:

That element is perfect. If you are completely cool with spending 100 bucks, I say go for it. The DVD might get her stoked too. The skateboarding equivalent of case candy :love:

• Members

Ive been skateboarding for 16yrs. Im 28 and yes, I still have a board. I just dont skate near as much as years past. Anyway, heres what I would get my girl if she wanted a board and a b-day or Christmas was coming.

From CCS online:

Steps Items Avail Price

-Choose Deck
CCS BLANK DECK GREEN 7.75 width Change it Yes $69.99

-Choose Trucks
INDEPENDENT STAGE 9 LOW TRUCKS SILVER 7.75 Change it Yes $5.00

-Choose Wheels
CCS BLANK WHEELS WHITE 52mm Change it Yes $0.00

-Choose Parts Package
CCS COMPLETE PARTS PACKAGE MULTI ONE SIZE Change it

-Choose Bearings
CCS BEARINGS BLACK ONE SIZE Change it Yes $0.00

-Choose Griptape
JESSUP GRIP TAPE MULTI ONE SIZE Change it Yes $0.00

-Choose Hardware
CCS HARDWARE MULTI 1 1/8 BOLT Change it Yes $0.00

-Choose Riser Pads
CCS RISERS BLACK 1/8 Change it Yes $0.00
ASSEMBLED FREE! OR UNASSEMBLED

You Saved $24.94! Total: $74.99

Thats everything you would need. So you dont get her all "brand name" items, but all certainly worthy of a beginner. Completes from Kmart/wal mart/etc are garbage. They dont even roll properly. While Im not a firm believer in spending HUGE dollars for somebody that shows a fart in the winds interest in a hobby, Im not going to DWINDLE their interest by buying them garbage either. I live and die by Independent trucks, so thats why I threw those in there. hehe

If she doesnt have shoes for it, get her a pair of skate shoes too. I dont care what anybody says, skateboarding shoes ARE built tougher than most others.

n2cg1020_mult.jpg
$50 and yes, they are girls shoes.

• Members

FIRST BOARD:
Christian Hosoi Tuff Skates
Independent Trucks
Santa Cruz Slimeball Wheels
German Bearings
1/2" risers

Circa Christmas 1990

Life never was the same after that. Ollies:thu:, Shove-its:thu:, Kickflips:thu:, Heelflips:thu:, Varial Heelfips:thu:, 360flips:thu:, 5-0grinds:thu:, Crooked Grinds:thu:, Board Slides:thu:, Completely Torn ACL that required surgery......:cry:

That pretty much put the kabash on the heavy skating.

• Members
Ive been skateboarding for 16yrs. Im 28 and yes, I still have a board. I just dont skate near as much as years past. Anyway, heres what I would get my girl if she wanted a board and a b-day or Christmas was coming.

Great advice as long as the girly tendencies don't roar once she sees there isn't a purty design.

For the sake of analogy, if you call a CCS blank the equivalent of a mexi Strat, there simply is no 3rd world piece of firewood with strings bad enough to be the equivalent to a walmart complete. To say they aren't in the same league is understating. A tall order paid in full. :freak:

• Members

From CCS online:

Steps Items Avail Price

-Choose Deck

CCS BLANK DECK GREEN 7.75 width Change it Yes $69.99

-Choose Trucks

INDEPENDENT STAGE 9 LOW TRUCKS SILVER 7.75 Change it Yes $5.00

-Choose Wheels

CCS BLANK WHEELS WHITE 52mm Change it Yes $0.00

-Choose Parts Package

CCS COMPLETE PARTS PACKAGE MULTI ONE SIZE Change it

-Choose Bearings

CCS BEARINGS BLACK ONE SIZE Change it Yes $0.00

-Choose Griptape

JESSUP GRIP TAPE MULTI ONE SIZE Change it Yes $0.00

-Choose Hardware

CCS HARDWARE MULTI 1 1/8 BOLT Change it Yes $0.00

-Choose Riser Pads

CCS RISERS BLACK 1/8 Change it Yes $0.00

ASSEMBLED FREE! OR UNASSEMBLED

You Saved $24.94! Total: $74.99

Thats everything you would need. So you dont get her all "brand name" items, but all certainly worthy of a beginner. Completes from Kmart/wal mart/etc are garbage. They dont even roll properly. While Im not a firm believer in spending HUGE dollars for somebody that shows a fart in the winds interest in a hobby, Im not going to DWINDLE their interest by buying them garbage either. I live and die by Independent trucks, so thats why I threw those in there. hehe

If she doesnt have shoes for it, get her a pair of skate shoes too. I dont care what anybody says, skateboarding shoes ARE built tougher than most others.

n2cg1020_mult.jpg
$50 and yes, they are girls shoes.

Thanks for you effort bro. I like those shoes who makes them?

• Members

Christian Hosoi! I wanted to be that guy so bad when I was young. Him and Lance mountain were the tits! I remember the first time I saw Rodney mullen skate in a Wendy's parking lot. He was pulling all of this crazy free style {censored}....this was 18 years ago...he has really changed the face of street skating. I miss the days when I could completely wreck myself on a big set of stairs and walk away. Now I really question my mortality.

• Members
Great advice as long as the girly tendencies don't roar once she sees there isn't a purty design.

For the sake of analogy, if you call a CCS blank the equivalent of a mexi Strat, there simply is no 3rd world piece of firewood with strings bad enough to be the equivalent to a walmart complete. To say they aren't in the same league is understating. A tall order paid in full.
:freak:

True about the purty design thing. I tried to find an all pink CCS deck, but they had none in stock. They even have colored wheels too. Tons of options. The CCS stuff isnt that bad, but not "the best" either. The wheels are fine because they're so cheap, they're disposable. Get flat spots from sliding your tricks around? So what! Buy some new ones. Wheels are the most abused part IMO. The CCS decks: GREAT for a beginner, GOOD for a kid who burns through decks fast without sponsorship, but "meh" for guys who take it seriously. Ive had a couple of CCS decks in a pinch, but I usually ended up snappin tails off.

Haha....CCS=Mexi strat. Thats a good comparison! WalMart=some piece of crap Indonesian guitar made on a Friday with balsa wood. Not good. :freak:

• Members
Completely Torn ACL that required surgery......
:cry:

That pretty much put the kabash on the heavy skating.

Varial Heels?! very nice mang, I never got that far... I kick around a board here and there, and managed to get the 360 flip back after about 2 weeks of practicing, but my heel tricks suck. I can't Inward Heel either, the foot motion is so completely confusing to me that I always end up kicking the board away and lookin like a tard... I've been working on backside heel flips tho, and for some reason I can land a few here and there, I can also half cab heel just about every time. Hopefully I'll be able to take the body rotation out of it down the road after I have both of those mastered and I'll finally be able to snag those inward heels...

By the way, I never tore my ACL, but I broke my hip on a fire hydrant, and thats what killed the hardcore skating for me too. :cry:

• Members
Thanks for you effort bro. I like those shoes who makes them?

I believe those were the Circa's. $50 and those were the "cheaper" of the ones I saw. Its ridiculous these days.

One other idea.....*GASP!* Payless. Ok Ok Ok....let me finish. I know its all about image these days, but in MY early days...it was all about Airwalks. For some reason, those shoes faded out in the mid/late 90's. NONE of the skate catalogs carry them anymore. I dont know if they "sold out" or what, but they disappeared. Then they showed up again at PAYLESS! Go figure! They appear to be the same quality and good designs.

Heck Id wear em, but Im all about image!!! hahahahahaha I wear Adidas shelltoes, white on black. Im all about keepin it real. As long as I have my Indy trucks and Adidas shoes....Im good. :thu:

• Members

For me it was about the DC Lynx's. My very first skate shoe, back when it was a brand spankin new design. I had the ultra common blue white and black ones and I loved them to death. A brutal death involving exposed toes and flapping soles... didn't wanna give 'em up!

• Members

I believe those were the Circa's. $50 and those were the "cheaper" of the ones I saw. Its ridiculous these days.

One other idea.....*GASP!* Payless. Ok Ok Ok....let me finish. I know its all about image these days, but in MY early days...it was all about Airwalks. For some reason, those shoes faded out in the mid/late 90's. NONE of the skate catalogs carry them anymore. I dont know if they "sold out" or what, but they disappeared. Then they showed up again at PAYLESS! Go figure! They appear to be the same quality and good designs.

Heck Id wear em, but Im all about image!!! hahahahahaha I wear Adidas shelltoes, white on black. Im all about keepin it real. As long as I have my Indy trucks and Adidas shoes....Im good.
:thu:

Bro,

PAYLESS!! LMAO.

My kid is like this. She would rather have like 10 pair of Payless shoes then 2 pairs of name brand. She's not a brand brat as long as it looks good she'll take it. She loves Payless shoes.:thu:

I'm the brand brat. I Gotta have the good stuff. LOL

• Members
Bro,

PAYLESS!! LMAO.

My kid is like this. She would rather have like 10 pair of Payless shoes then 2 pairs of name brand. She's not a brand brat as long as it looks good she'll take it. She loves Payless shoes.
:thu:

I'm the brand brat. I Gotta have the good stuff. LOL

Airwalks it is! :thu:;)

• Members

This is a pic of my little girl a couple years ago. She really doesnt look like that at all anymore. Its CRAZY how fast they grow! :cry: Pimpin the Indy shirt and Etnies shoes! haha....

Isnt it funny how one thread/topic can bring a lot of us back??? One guy shows interest in his girl/skateboarding, and we all jump in to keep the skate flame alive!! muhahahaha! :lol:

• Members

get her a light board above all else. i remember riding my brother's board and it was heavy as {censored} and i didn't like it at all.i made sure my first real board was light. it was a mini twig or something from element.

Lighter it is, the easier it is for a newbie to snap... until you make sure you land everything on the bolts, I'd go for at least a regular 7ply.

I wonder what those Impact decks are like from Almost tho... with the special layer in there somewhere it'd probably pretty strong. For some reason tho, decks using special technologies never really take off. I remember hearing about all these crazy types of boards, but I never ever saw them pop up at the spots or the parks. Never even in an actual shop either... I kinda took that as a warning and have always wondered if I'm missing out.

• Members

ya like those lib-tech boards. they had a layer of fiberglass in them. my brother had one, and it was the wierdest feeling deck ive ever rode. it had no concave and no give at all. it was strong as hell though, it never snapped. but i'll just stick with regular wood

• Members

ya like those lib-tech boards. they had a layer of fiberglass in them. my brother had one, and it was the wierdest feeling deck ive ever rode. it had no concave and no give at all. it was strong as hell though, it never snapped. but i'll just stick with regular wood

Whoa, libtech has a fiberglass layer? I never knew that... a buddy had one and I didn't care for it at all. Felt soggy, no where near as much pop as I'm used to. I figured it was some budget brand or something... how wierd.

Archived