Peavey amps

smithy89

• Members

Hi, im about to lash out and buy a head and cab.. im not sure what exactly to go with between the 6505 and 6505+ defently one of the two. theres no music stores around for me to try gear out, but i have heard the pv 6505 heads they sound great..

anyway i was wondering what the difference between the 6505+ and 6505 are, the price difference is no problem for me so i can get either one. ive read some rather the 6505 over the + so i gather its not like saying give me the 2 scoop icecream instead of the 1 scoop (if you know what i mean haha :p )

also what are some good 4x12 cabs to go with the head. apparently these marshall 1960 4x12 are pretty good for them. any thoughts?

cheers :)

• Members

original 5150/6505 has a bit more gain, lower mid voicing, thicker sound, and the rhythm channel doesnt fair well as a clean (although throw some chorus or flanger on it and it works pretty good).

5150 II/6505 + is more upper-mid voiced, less gain, tighter on the bottom end, and the rhythm channel does better as a clean channel, although still not super-Fender clean.

thats about all the differences...some people argue back and forth about the amount of gain on the lead channel, but i had my gain at about 4 on my 5150, and about the same amount on a II is on 6 or 7 (both PRS guitars with Dragon II bridge pickups).

as for a cab...thats personal choice. Marshalls seem popular, and a lot of people like V30's with the 5150 series...i prefer 75's myself (actually have a Laney cab with G12m70's...precursors to the t75's, but similar enough). the 5150s have a lot of midrange, and i find that the more scooped 75's work better with them IMO...some people find them ice-picky, but you can help that by turning down the highs!

good luck :)

• Members

Hello.I have two 5150II heads and I prefer them with there own cabs.I think they sound the best on them and I own a Marshall greenback cab,bogner ubercab and a regular bogner cab with vintage 30's.The head does not really fit right on my slant front Marshall cab because of those plastic trays marshall uses to hold there heads on.Just my 2 cents.

Archived