Quick Question

adamgram

• Members

Is it okay to take the Effects Loop "Send" (or "Power Amp Out") without returning the signal? The amp is connected to a speaker.

What I want to do is...

Guitar into effects processor (Boss GT Pro)

Processor main out "Left" to Amp #1 (Randall RM100)

Amp #1 series loop "Send" to mixer, faded left

Amp #1 main out to cabinet (Marshall 1960A) left input

Processor main out "Right" to Amp #2 (Carvin X100)

Amp #2 "Power Amp Out" to mixer, faded right

Amp #2 main out to cabinet right input

Mixer to computer

• Members

Thanks Guitarzan... I didn't think anything would blow up, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case there was something I didn't know about.

I plugged it all in and it works, only problem is my Carvin X100 can't seem to shut it's power section down completely while letting it's preamp send to the the 'preamp out'. I can't get volume into the computer without also getting it through the speaker, and I'm trying to work out a headphones rig that utilizes stereo effects through separate preamps.

What if I plugged the output of the Carvin into the return of the Randall? Would the increase in stregth of the signal after going through the Carvin's power amp section cause any damage to the Randall? Would it matter that the Randall wouldn't be recieving the same signal it sent?

The setup would be...

Guitar into effects processor (Boss GT Pro)

Processor main out "Left" to Amp #1 (Randall RM100)
Processor main out "Right" to Amp #2 (Carvin X100)
Amp #1 series loop "Send" to mixer, faded left
Amp #2 "Power Amp Out" to mixer, faded right
Mixer to computer

Amp #2 main out to Amp #1 series loop return
Amp #1 main out to cabinet (Marshall 1960A) mono input

• Members

You are most welcome,

Well that all looks OK, except:

"Amp #2 main out to Amp #1 series loop return."

Never hook a speaker out to a line level in, if that is what your doing with amp 2. Unless by main out you do not mean speaker out? The impedance is way off, the signal is way huge. It may or may not do damage but it will sound like pooh, IMO.

You may want to get a(or 2) Weber(or some other good make) Attenuator with a line out. That way you can safely reduce the speaker OP(AKA poweramp output) to nothing if you like, yet still have a good signal for your mixer.

Hope that helps some more.

Archived