How is the Laney TT50H compared to a GH50L?

Renato

• Members

I have a GH50L for some years now, with 6L6's (I think they come with EL34's now) and it's stock. I got it just because I wanted a tube amp but alone I didn't play it much. I didn't use it for a few years and now I'm in a band I started to play it more regularly. And I like the tone very much, although I don't know how much even better it could be with different tubes.

But as a lead player in a rock/alternative band, the amp is not versatile enough. It's pretty hard to try to clean the high gain tone and switching the second gain off makes the volume too low compared to the high gain tone.

The TT50H seems to have all that I would need. It even has a boost switch, so I wouldn't need an external boost for leads, and reverb, wich mine doesn't have.

So, the main question is, how is the TT50H high gain channel compared to my GH50L? I also play metal although mainly at home, for wich I plan to use a modeler like POD, but the TT should cover some metal... hopefully!

The alternative is to find a way to simulate a second channel with external devices, wich I haven't figured out yet.

• Members

I have a GH50L for some years now, with 6L6's (I think they come with EL34's now) and it's stock. I got it just because I wanted a tube amp but alone I didn't play it much. I didn't use it for a few years and now I'm in a band I started to play it more regularly. And I like the tone very much, although I don't know how much even better it could be with different tubes.

But as a lead player in a rock/alternative band, the amp is not versatile enough. It's pretty hard to try to clean the high gain tone and switching the second gain off makes the volume too low compared to the high gain tone.

The TT50H seems to have all that I would need. It even has a boost switch, so I wouldn't need an external boost for leads, and reverb, wich mine doesn't have.

So, the main question is, how is the TT50H high gain channel compared to my GH50L? I also play metal although mainly at home, for wich I plan to use a modeler like POD, but the TT should cover some metal... hopefully!

The alternative is to find a way to simulate a second channel with external devices, wich I haven't figured out yet.

I didn't really care for the TT50H.....it has less mids than the GH/Vh series. The GH/VH are the {censored} from Laney. Anything else IMO is subpar.

• Members

the other guitar player in my band has the vh100r. the clean is great.

the features that atracted me in the TT50h was the power rating, as I find 100W too much and makes the vh100r more expensive for something I don't need, and the boost option, as I'm suposed to be the lead player.

Is there any other amp I should consider in the same price range?

• Members

The GH50s should be plenty for you,and there are lots of "metal" bands using them quiet well. If you want to go the older route,there are plenty of 50watt AOR heads out there have boosts and are inexpensive-a lot more of them floating around in your neck of the woods than there over here by a long shot.

But there's some folks with TTs over at the Laney forum and possibly some clips for u and who could give u a better insight into them.

http://www.laneyforum.com/

• Members

I have the TT50 and can't say enough about it. It has all the features you could ever want....Footswitchable 2nd Volume for solos, footswitchable Reverb (amp has a Master reverb, and then separate reverb levels for each channel), MIDI capability, Gain boost and Bright switches, an XPAND feature on channel 3 which acts sort of like a BBE, a Damping switch....the list goes on. However, it is more of a modern sounding amp. The 2nd and 3rd channels have "vintage" and "Modern" voicings, but it definitely leans more to the Modern either way. The amp is not a bedroom amp, and really needs to be turned up to get the most out of it. I use it live and have no trouble whatsoever cutting through. Also....the amp likes pedals.

• Members

I have a TT50 and a VH100R, the TT50 is a great amp but it has less total gain than the VH100R. Yes it is a great sounding amp, and you can get any tone you want from it, but for sheer gain my VH100 (and the GH series) has more gain. Putting an OD pedal with the TT50 will give you the trust boost into the top end range of the VH100/GH50-100 series.

I won't be w/o my VH100, I'd hate to part with my TT50, but it would be one of the amps I'd sacrifice if required.

Derek

• Members

I'm just echoing what everyone have already said but if you love the sound of your GH and want the cleans, the VH100R is perfect for you (but I guess you already know that since your other guitar player plays one). If you want the same sound but with reduced power, you could get a VC50. It's a 2x12 combo with 50W of power and the same preamp as VH100R.

Or you can get an external preamp with a loop (most multi fx would do) and do the four cable method.

Archived