Mesa DC-5 Vs. Single Rectifier

nyck

• Members

i find the recto more aggresive with a lot more lower mids. cool stuff here

DC - 3 anyway (all that i have tried) has a more tolerable gain, can be turned up higher and not be a fizzy mess. but still, sticking to less gain sounds better.

for more insane metal varieties = recto > DC

rock and softer stuff = DC > recto

versatility = DC > recto

clean tones = DC > recto

aggressiveness = recto > DC

effects loop = DC > recto

darkness = DC = recto

it really depends on what you are after but if it isnt some heavy heavy metal or wall of gain punk and rock, you are better off with the DC.

• Members

I used to use :) DC-5 for some 5 years, (several hundred gigs, radio, TV, studio...). When I plugged into a Recto I was floored how brilliant and open it sounded on "dirt" channel. DC has a wonderful clean (including juicy break-up), but the hot channel (I don't remember how it was called) is mushy, fizzy, dark and seriously lacks definition. Compared to DC, Rectos sound much more defined and crisp (though they are inherently dark sounding as well).

And, please disregard the utterly deaf idea that Rectos are good only for "detuned Nu-metal riffing". :rolleyes::bor:

• Members
I used to use
:)
DC-5 for some 5 years, (several hundred gigs, radio, TV, studio...). When I plugged into a Recto I was floored how brilliant and open it sounded on "dirt" channel. DC has a wonderful clean (including juicy break-up), but the hot channel (I don't remember how it was called) is mushy, fizzy, dark and seriously lacks definition. Compared to DC, Rectos sound much more defined and crisp (though they are inherently dark sounding as well).

And, please disregard the utterly deaf idea that Rectos are good only for "detuned Nu-metal riffing".
:rolleyes::bor:

which recto did you try?

• Members

I used to use
DC-5 for some 5 years, (several hundred gigs, radio, TV, studio...). When I plugged into a Recto I was floored how brilliant and open it sounded on "dirt" channel. DC has a wonderful clean (including juicy break-up), but the hot channel (I don't remember how it was called) is mushy, fizzy, dark and seriously lacks definition. Compared to DC, Rectos sound much more defined and crisp (though they are inherently dark sounding as well).

And, please disregard the utterly deaf idea that Rectos are good only for "detuned Nu-metal riffing".
:rolleyes::bor:

you are right, but the tones of nu metal riffing are so easy to achieve.

the rectos are capable of more than that for sure but it is just perfect for it.

most of the other things it can do are only really found with some really odd EQ settings that most people never think of. you got to check that Recto settings thread for some good stuff.

• Members

which recto did you try?

I tried several dual rectos (in store) and played a short tour in Australia with a rental Triple Recto (with matching 4x12 cabinet). Yummie! :)

Also, an idea: the significant difference might be the cabinet thing. I bet DC would sound much tighter if plugged into a closed back 2x12 or 4x12. :confused:

• Members

I tried several dual rectos (in store) and played a short tour in Australia with a rental Triple Recto (with matching 4x12 cabinet). Yummie!

Also, an idea: the significant difference might be the cabinet thing. I bet DC would sound much tighter if plugged into a closed back 2x12 or 4x12.
:confused:

What exactly was your rig w/ the DC?

• Members

I've got a DC-5 with a 2x12 recto cab and the dirty channel can be pretty aggressive. Maybe not Triple Recto aggressive but also not near as nu-metal fizzy either. For what it's worth the dirty channel on the DC series amps was suppossed to be modeled on the Recto series. The clean on the Mark series.

Archived