the Freshness of music!!!

leyoculta

• Members

Hello everyone!

What do you think makes music sound "fresh" to our ears?

Why does it fade off? Why does it come back after a while?

I guess repetition has a lot to do in it, but if it was just that then what? Should we only listen to our favorite music form time to time to enjoy it over a longer period of time?

Cheers,

leyoculta

• Members

By the way, I write this because at the moment I'm kind of having problems finding music that I really like.

I'm hard into Metallica, GN'R, Dream Theater, Maiden, Pantera, SRV, Vai, Satriani, Goo Goo Dolls, Garbage, Shakira, Madonna, Coldplay, Oasis, and the like.

Lately I started to look for different music. I got St. Anger, Mezzanine from Massive Attack, a Mr. Bungle album, OSI (DT side project), Spock's Beard, and some old Pink Floyd CDs.

They were great, I really liked most of them a lot. But after more or less two months I just cannot listen to them anymore. I do. I still like them and I know it's good music, but I just don't get the kick that I got before (after two weeks of listening, because I had to let them sink in).

Is it something like this for you too?

Cheers,

leyoculta

• Members

hmm yea...me n my brother (plays bass) talk about this over coffee in the morning lol....

When I was younger I use to listen to tapes from Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC~DC and the like...and listen to em over and over and over...hell I still listen to em...

Lately Ive been buying CDs of newer bands that I hear a song on the radio I like...I listen to em a few times and lose interest...

Trapt is one recently...bought cus of the song Headstrong on the radio...my impression is it sounds like one long song...like the whole album was crontrived from some formula...alot of the music today strikes me as formulated...right down to the vocal sound...

Listen to New Found Glory...then put in Bowling For Soup

Same singer? Hmmmm....maybe

• Members

Maybe your ears are growing up.

After you hear enough music of any kind a pattern or Formula.

It is a hard truth. Music for the most part is fomula.

You find something you like and something else you like and you graf it together. That's why most everything, sounds familiar.

The music industry is not about making great music or great Albums.

Any one who buys a CD, knows there are one or two good cuts and the rest is filler.

It is not the Artists. Making one great tune is a great accomplishment.

Record companies want you to fill up the empty space.

Its all about the money. Less money in a single then a full Album.

paraphonic

• Members

Originally posted by paraphonic

Maybe your ears are growing up.

After you hear enough music of any kind a pattern or Formula.

It is a hard truth. Music for the most part is fomula.

You find something you like and something else you like and you graf it together. That's why most everything, sounds familiar.

The music industry is not about making great music or great Albums.

Any one who buys a CD, knows there are one or two good cuts and the rest is filler.

It is not the Artists. Making one great tune is a great accomplishment.

Record companies want you to fill up the empty space.

Its all about the money. Less money in a single then a full Album.

paraphonic

I like that pattern theory you mention...

Also, I do agree that the goal of the music industry is to make money. I do not think that in any of them hold in their "mission statementes" a line says they are out to provide good music to the public, or to enable an artist's ideas to live, etc. I guess this recent become a star overnight trend just proves that hey, they're just in it for the money. But that's the way it works.

++++

But again...

why does a CD that you played to death, until you burned it out, all of the sudden sound great and refreshing some years later?

Why do we sometimes just can't listen anymore, ever, to a particular album which we know it's good music?

Sometimes I catch myself trying a Dream Theater album to see if I can listen to it and enjoy it again. ;-)

Cheers,

jaime

PS: in my quest I also ran into Bjork and Bowie which I just loved, so damn interesting, but again, one or two months later I just can't listen to them anymore

• Members

This may or may not tie in with this discussion, but I've found over the years that I listen to less and less music period. Part of it I suspect has to do with all those years of "classical" training, where it was pounded into my head to analyze everything I hear. That was kind of fun when I was younger, but now that I'm an old man I find that I prefer to just turn off my brain once in a while, and if I'm listening to music, I can't do that anymore.

It's bad enough that my wife doesn't even like to listen to the radio with me, because I can't stop myself from tearing apart whatever I'm hearing. Somwhere along the way, I forgot how to just enjoy listening to music, and I think that's sad.

• Members

Well record companies want to make money and that is truely the bottom line. So when something is hot, every band who matches that criteria has a shot at being signed. Those american idols get signed not because they have great voices or a special talent. Nope they got signed because they have a gigantic fan base who will buy their records.

So they fit their talent into certain boxes that fit what is hot at a given time or they can give more freedom to a group that will sell enough records no matter what they do. I imagine Mettalica, the stones, and a few others fit that bill but I think that those band are not interested in breaking too much new ground for fear their popularity might decrease.

I disagree on the filler comment just a little bit. I think that some bands are able to put together a whole album of decent songs and nothing makes a record company happier. But a lot of bands are signed because they fit some image and not because they are gifted musicians or song writers. When that is the case it just is not very likely that they can write a full album of good tunes.

• Members

I think if a song relates to a feeling or emotion you have that will always be strong within you, then that music will always revive that particular feeling, whether it be a reminder of a certain time in your life or just how you wish to feel about life.

The key to enjoying music is how personal it is, how much does it relate to you. Even if the lyrics are totally off the wall, you can still listen to a melody and it can jsut feel like you.

Man this is deeeep.

• Members

I do the same.......

But whenever I really get in a rut I listen to Jazz and sometimes Classical. Miles Davis is the man that really gets me. Those guys played perfectly with soul on practically every recording. And really complicated {censored} too....and most of them were high as a kite while doing it....

It's their level of proficiency on their instruments and their dedication to the art that usually shakes me out of any funk I'm in.........

• Members

over 20 years have passed (since I frist listened to) and I still am in awe of Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon.

What keeps music alive for me is simply that it can make me think- I still love listening to old school stuff like Kansas, yes, Alan Parsons, etc... What makes it even more enjoyable is a nice 6.1 surround system. The way they split the EQ vs. the old school stereos is amazing, much more clarity and high/low end. Add to that some of the SACD's out on the market now.

Another direction I take is finding the 'perfect' sounds from obscure/progressive bands. One of my favorites is the "Presto" album from Rush. Not really great music, but the guitar work by Alex Lifeson on that album is the closest thing to pure perfection (soundwise) that I've ever heard.

Of course, taking my approach wouldn't work for hard rock or metal music.

As far as today's music goes- I find every year less and less creativity and more and more capitolization of the current "sound".. More or less, most everything in the "rock" genre sounds like boy-band versions of Nirvana/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains- etc.. But thats me. Maybe I'm getting old.

• Members

Originally posted by leyoculta

By the way, I write this because at the moment I'm kind of having problems finding music that I really like.

I'm hard into Metallica, GN'R, Dream Theater, Maiden, Pantera, SRV, Vai, Satriani, Goo Goo Dolls, Garbage, Shakira, Madonna, Coldplay, Oasis, and the like.

Lately I started to look for different music. I got St. Anger, Mezzanine from Massive Attack, a Mr. Bungle album, OSI (DT side project), Spock's Beard, and some old Pink Floyd CDs.

They were great, I really liked most of them a lot. But after more or less two months I just cannot listen to them anymore. I do. I still like them and I know it's good music, but I just don't get the kick that I got before (after two weeks of listening, because I had to let them sink in).

Is it something like this for you too?

Cheers,

leyoculta

These artists are all very different from one another, but check out each one individually, it will be worth it to you, even if you only find one band out of all of these that you like. Truuusssst me......

Fugazi

Jawbreaker

Radiohead

Slint - anything from the album spiderland

Do Make See think

Mogwai

Meshuggah - especially "future breed machine" and "new millenium cyanide christ"

Deathcab For Cutie - anything from the album something about airplanes

DNTEL

Alcie in Chains

Melvins - anything from the album houdini

Helmet

• Members

This may or may not tie in with this discussion, but I've found over the years that I listen to less and less music period. Part of it I suspect has to do with all those years of "classical" training, where it was pounded into my head to analyze everything I hear. That was kind of fun when I was younger, but now that I'm an old man I find that I prefer to just turn off my brain once in a while, and if I'm listening to music, I can't do that anymore.

You're scaring me man, I'm really hating my music theory classes right now.

-Pipes

• Members

Originally posted by pippyman

You're scaring me man, I'm really hating my music theory classes right now.

-Pipes

The other part that has contributed to my not enjoying listening to music anymore is probably that I spent the next 20 years after college being a bar band whore, playing anything, anywhere, any time, and not enjoying much of what I did. I had to constantly be learning new country songs, because it was so popular around here in the area clubs, and to put it simply I have always hated country music. But I played a lot of it for a lot of years because it paid the bills.

I think I finally just burned out completely, from playing stuff I didn't like. So, don't worry. The theory classes pounded the skills I used all those years into my head, but as much as anything, it was the lack of enjoyment in playing music I didn't like for so long that compounded the problem.

• Members

Originally posted by TheBoatCanDream

These artists are all very different from one another, but check out each one individually, it will be worth it to you, even if you only find one band out of all of these that you like. Truuusssst me......

Fugazi

Jawbreaker

Radiohead

Slint - anything from the album spiderland

Do Make See think

Mogwai

Meshuggah - especially "future breed machine" and "new millenium cyanide christ"

Deathcab For Cutie - anything from the album something about airplanes

DNTEL

Alcie in Chains

Melvins - anything from the album houdini

Helmet

I'll second those and add:

Mr Bungle (anything but especially Disco Volante)

Secret Chiefs 3

Estradasphere

Tub Ring

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Melt Banana (Cell Scape)

The Boredoms (Super Ar or Vision Creation Newsun)

Dillenger Escape Plan

The Mars Volta

Fantomas

Fourtet

Tom Waits

Isis

Keelhaul (the new one out in a week or two)

MF Doom

Clouddead

Buck 65

Sage Francis

Just find a band you really like (Mr Bungle was the one that did it for me) then find out who they collaborate with or who they share a label with or any kind of connection you can and keep on listening to new stuff. Decide what you look for in good music and go for it. And don't find one great CD and listen to it repeatedly, find 20 or 30 and listen to them once a week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Think of it this way, if you really like plaid, you can change the color and size of the plaid but it is still plaid.

I find that people that love music usually cant just listen to one genre of music repeatedly without it becoming diluted to some extent.

the real key is to challenge yourself musically and try to find other forms of music that move you.

Archived