Re-tubing a Mesa TR with JJ tubes...suggestions?

B-Roll

• Members

Hi all, I'm new to this board and am looking to try JJ tubes. Right now, I'm playing a Mesa 3ch Triple Rectifier out of a VHT cab. At the moment, I think it is too fizzy and I always have to mess with it to get it sounding ok but it's still not doing the job. I love the amp and have always re-tubed with Mesa tubes but I think I might want to try KT88s. Any other suggestions? I'm playing hardcore/metal and we're on tour 10 months out of the year. Don't get me wrong, I think the thing sounds great but there's just that little extra fizz and breakup that I don't need. I think the KT88s could help and also add a little more low end as well.

We play in Drop B with ESP guitars and EMG pickups. Standard hardcore/metal setup heh.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right at the moment I'm playing with the Mesa tubes but the outer tubes pulled out so it's running 100 watts right now.

www.myspace.com/deathbeforedishonorbhc to get a sample of our sound.

Thanks.

• Members

From my understanding is that it is not recomended in the manual to pull tubes in the 150 watt model.

I've found that JJ power tubes work well and anything other then JJ pre-amp tubes sound good. If you do a search you'll see why.

Rectifiers natural voice is to have that grind. You have to turn them way up to have smooth things out just a hair.

• Members

I recently re-tubed my Triple Recto with a sextet of JJ 6L6GCs...I just told Bob it was for the Mesa and he hooked me up. I think they sound fine...and to be honest, not a whole lot different than the Mesa branded tubes I had in there.

I think my Mesa always sounds fizzy and crappy (at least, the 3rd channel modern) until I get it turned up amidst the band. For some reason, what sort of sounded harsh and trebly by itself sounds BIG and full among the full band.

ALSO, I am pretty sure you aren't supposed to pull tubes in the Triple like you can with the Dual and other 100 watt amps. I doubt you'll hurt anything unless you run it long and loud like that, but still.

Wow...I checked your myspace, playing a couple of shows in the coming weeks, huh? Damn!

Archived