elliott smith

jesus, etc.

• Members

:(

heard he died. went back after a vague notion that i'd heard the name before and found him on my royal tenenbaums soundtrack. great song, needle in the hay.

i just got his self-titled album.

blowin me away.

sad to hear he was troubled enough to stab himself in the heart though.... sad.

• Members

I'd had his self-titled for about a year and I had just been listening to it a few times during the week before he died. It's pretty powerfull music, so restrained and sparse, but still a lot of intricate guitar parts. I haven't heard much more of his stuff than whats on the self-titled; just that "but I'm gonna love you anyhow" single that was a minor hit a while back. First time I ever heard of Elliot Smith he performed that song on some late-night show, I thought it was so great, but I never really got into him. He was allways someone I knew a little bit about, someone I respected and wanted to explore more as an artist, but I never got around to it. I know I'm going to probably get into the rest of his catalog soon too, its such a shame that it took his suicide for that to happen though.

One thing's for sure though - It's going to be tough watching that scene in The Royal Tennenbaums knowing that the artist went through such a similair experience. I allready thought that that was one of the most powerful film scenes I had ever seen, in one of my favorite movies. The types of suicide too - both by methods that aren't effective or efficient when it comes to actually ending your life. I've heard it said that when someone slits their wrists or the likes, that they may have other motives than actually killing themselves - that its more of a last cry for help from someone in desparate circumstances - otherwise they would use a more effective and less painful way of ending their life. That could be all bs but I think there is some truth to it. Something to think about.

• Members

One of my friends just told me how he overheard some people talking about Elliot Smith at a restaurant, talking about what a great artist he was and all. He had to break the news to them that Elliot had died earlier that day.

• Members

just listen to Independence Day or Angeles or Alameda. you can't help but be amazed at how he wrote such intricate melodies over such unique chord progressions. The sparse, folk sound belied his supreme technical ability and creativity and knowledge. he was a songwriting genius. :(

• Members

all his albums are great. his later ones XO and Figure 8 are much more orchistrated and sound amazing in a different way than his earlier work. i would get all five of them at the same time if i didn't have any but if you don't want to get all of them, you should get "Either/Or" or "XO", probably my favorites.

Archived