Hints on expanding on ideas needed badly...

Yeah

• Members

I need some hints on how to expand on ideas.

I usually get hit with an idea, such as;

"A road to nowhere

juxtaposed with a drive to somewhere"

and I may get a couple of lines written down, but then nothing.

How can I go about expanding on these ideas?

Thanks.

• Members

Brainstorm brainstorm brainstorm....

what are some things that a road to nowhere makes you think of, a drive to somewhere? These are tough because they're kind of vague and pretty cliche. Did you have a specific idea in mind?

Road to Nowhere

open road

beat up car

lonely

desert

try just writing down things that you can taste, touch, smell, hear.

'Object Writing' is what it's called. Create a list of ideas that you can sift through and pick out the feelings that really work well for the song.

I suggest you pick up a book for under $20 or so, at your nearest Borders. Just something to help you generate ideas and flesh out the ones you already have.

• Members

Originally posted by confuseitall

Brainstorm brainstorm brainstorm....

what are some things that a road to nowhere makes you think of, a drive to somewhere? These are tough because they're kind of vague and pretty cliche. Did you have a specific idea in mind?

Road to Nowhere

open road

beat up car

lonely

desert

try just writing down things that you can taste, touch, smell, hear.

'Object Writing' is what it's called. Create a list of ideas that you can sift through and pick out the feelings that really work well for the song.

I suggest you pick up a book for under $20 or so, at your nearest Borders. Just something to help you generate ideas and flesh out the ones you already have.

Yeah thats good advice, I might follow that aswell, also the way I do it is get an idea, write those couple of lines and just let it flow from there, dont be afraid to try something because you can always improve it later or even just throw it in the bin, I've written loads of lyrics before, now I only have about 15-20 fully complete sets of lyrics which most of them need improving aswell.

Archived