Anyone else hate nOObs at music shops?? Especially repair guys?? (splawn content)

Meatbeard

• Members

Ah damn it, musicians and their egos!! Ha.

I take my amp up to the closest shop to me to get it biased and my new tubes put it.

The repair guy says " So, what the hell kind of amp is that, Ive never heard of it"

I say " Well, Its a Splawn Quickrod. It has a boosted plexi/jcm800 sort of vibe to it"

He says "and you want to take these kt77's out and put Mullard el34's in??? The 77's are going to sound way better..."

So, your saying that you dont want me to give your shop my money?? Your also telling me that, allthough you have never even heard of this amp before, you KNOW for a fact that KT77's well sound WAY Better???

Better, of course, being subjective, because you have no clue as to what kind of music I play. What an idiot

Damn I wish I had a biasrite....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know man, just venting a little ha.

I just thought that it was stupid to basically generalize the fact that those tubes just sound better in any amp that they are put in, when "better" is so subjective. I guess he is just so used to retards saying " OK Mr. repair shop guy. Whatever you say is cold hard fact!!"

• Members

I went to guitar center to buy a 1M Ohm pot ( Volume knob ) for my guitar and the dude at the counter, who was standing in front of a wall with 6 of them on it, had no idea what I was asking for. I had to point to them and say 'No, the one next to that.' Then of course I told him that even though what he handed me was a volume pot it wasn't the right value and he looked so confused. They ended up having nothing higher than a 500k. All I'm saying is, if you're going to call you {censored} guitar center. Have {censored}in guitar {censored}. I know everyone doesn't wire their own {censored} but clearly enough do because they stock Gibson, Fender and All-Parts brand volume pots. Did I mention I hate GC?

• Members

I went to guitar center to buy a 1M Ohm pot ( Volume knob ) for my guitar and the dude at the counter, who was standing in front of a wall with 6 of them on it, had no idea what I was asking for. I had to point to them and say 'No, the one next to that.' Then of course I told him that even though what he handed me was a volume pot it wasn't the right value and he looked so confused. They ended up having nothing higher than a 500k. All I'm saying is, if you're going to call you {censored} guitar center. Have {censored}in guitar {censored}. I know everyone doesn't wire their own {censored} but clearly enough do because they stock Gibson, Fender and All-Parts brand volume pots. Did I mention I hate GC?

ha thats hilarious. Well, this wasnt GC, this was this place called Evans Music City here in houston. Everything about that place sucks exept for their amp section. They have some smokin vht's, 2 diamond stacks, and Dr.Z's galore!!!!

• Members

Ah damn it, musicians and their egos!! Ha.

I take my amp up to the closest shop to me to get it biased and my new tubes put it.

The repair guy says " So, what the hell kind of amp is that, Ive never heard of it"

I say " Well, Its a Splawn Quickrod. It has a boosted plexi/jcm800 sort of vibe to it"

He says "and you want to take these kt77's out and put Mullard el34's in??? The 77's are going to sound way better..."

So, your saying that you dont want me to give your shop my money?? Your also telling me that, allthough you have never even heard of this amp before, you KNOW for a fact that KT77's well sound WAY Better???

Better, of course, being subjective, because you have no clue as to what kind of music I play. What an idiot

Damn I wish I had a biasrite....

How much was the bias job? A bias right is $110.

• Members

Well, anyone with any talent (non musical) isn't going to be working at a guitar store past 25..

You've basically got people deluded enough to think that guitar stores represent some kind of in the biz cred.

so yeah, you're going to get some douchenozzle that still dresses like winger's in the charts.. and will have all the mythical bogus guitar and amp know how that floated around pre internet

and you're going to have the metro screamo pretentios moron who thinks 5150's are the {censored} cause blackflag used them or whatever

just avoid those places.. they depress the {censored} out of me because I know mankind is capable of this kind of sadness and undignity

• Members

So, it's not just me then? Most music stores, once you hit a certain level of playing and experience are just a place to get picks and strings, if that? I mean, once Sam Ash and Guitar center ran out the only good store in my town, I've done ALL my gear buying/selling through classifieds/eBay/friends... I used to oggle at AMS and MusiciansFriend catalogs like they were Swank magazine and anymore it seems that NOTHING substantial I want is even in any of them. I feel so old... : (

• Members

I think you american's do want too much! I've been doing repairs and builds for many years. I think I only ever once (on request of a customer) had to order in a 1K volume knob. Its just not something that gets asked for every day!

25k, 250k and 500k, sure thing. I have about 30 of each sitting around... I doubt I'd have a single 1k. Blasting a retailler for not having in stock an item 1 in a million may possibly ask for is just... well... nuts.

Also, you said your Splawn was a JCM800 clone type dealy. KT77's as far as I am aware are generally regarded as being a better tube for JCM800s generally. Sure you're going to get people who'll disagree, neither wrongly or rightly. Maybe that tech thought he was advising you against doing a job that he didn't think would yield you a result you're after. Afterall, he doesn't know you, he was probably just suggesting. I've done it myself with customers before! Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong, but either way its another opinion!

I mean sheesh! Do you know us poor fools in the UK don't nearly have the coverage that you USA guys do? Off hand I could pick out maybe three stores I could get to if I organised it well enough... compared to when I was in San Francisco, there were two guitar centres easily on my way home that had pretty much anything I thought of. Be it a pickup, patch cable, plectrum, etc...

Grow up and stop being such pussies and order that damned 1k pot from guitarelectronics.com (its where I get my parts and I'm in the UK)!

• Members
ha ha of course

I just thought it was silly. Dude looked at me as if I asked him to install pine cones into my amp.

This was the funniest thing I've heard in a week!! Thanks for the laugh :thu:
Pine cones....lolzzzzz.... I'm still chuckling.

Luckily the guys at the GC near me have enough brains to leave me alone, and their guitar techs are actually pretty decent. The turnaround of the other employees is pretty large, seems like every time I'm in there there's a whole new sales crew.

• Members

I would never just bring my amp to some random shop.
There are two techs that I go to, both also build their own stuff and know their {censored}. They both have actual formal education in electronics. Can't beat that IMO. It is somewhat assuring when the tech says: sure, everything can be done, give me some time to study the schematics and I'll get back to you...

As opposed to "what do you mean by matched tubes" kinda responses that you can get from one of those guys who basically just work retail in a big store and might as well be selling refrigerators of whatever...

• Members

Thing is - how many Diezels sell per year than some of the major players, like Marshall, Peavey...

Most shops I know here have plenty stock of Peavey and Marshall combos, with some of the valve lines of marshall, some mesa... not much else. Hell if I want to try out an Engl, nearest place to me is currently a 2 hour drive! Diezel, Bogner? Fuggedaboudit! J-Custom Ibanez? High end Jacksons? BC Rich that arent the cheap-ass bronze or platinums?

Laughing all the way.....

• Members

I think I only ever once (on request of a customer) had to order in a 1K volume knob. Its just not something that gets asked for every day! 25k, 250k and 500k, sure thing. I have about 30 of each sitting around... I doubt I'd have a single 1k.

1M Ohm - One Meg Ohm. Not 1k. I know 'everyone' deosn't use 1M ohm pots but Jesus. Have one sitting around collecting dust or maybe offer to order it or tell me where the hell I can find one. The guys at my GC are useless. This is why I get {censored} off the web more than not.

And if you're going for high gain and you have passive pickups, why wouldn't you use 1M Ohm pot? You get more power and more high end. You can dial that out at the map if you want but you can't add what isn't there.

Archived