Help me walk the Path!

confuseitall

• Members

Okay here's the deal:

I come up with some chords, they're pretty neat. I hum a couple lines...doing good.

I write a good lyric, man this song is gonna rock.

That's all. No more. Seriously, I can't for the life of me finish or even get halfway through a song anymore. Half the songs I used to play I've thrown out the window. I read the lyric writing books, but I can't even trudge through the exercises........I doubt myself constantly.

Help! I can't fade into crappy musical obscurity yet! I haven't even gotten a record deal, snorted my advance., {censored}ed courtney love and smashed a guitar!!!!

• Members

Try to {censored} the guitar and smash Courtney Love, then you'll get the right inspiration j/k

Now seriously.. DON'T doubt yourself, and just write things that come to your head and that you think that are gonna fit in a song, and in my opinion a song isn't just the lyrics, it's also the way you sing it and play it, what I'm trying to say is that you could make a not too good lyric sound awesome if you apply the right singing to ot.

• Members

Perhaps you need "form". In short arrange your progression so you have - Example:

A) verse - verse B) chorus A) verse - verse C) Refrain or modulation/key change A) verse (repeat one already done) and B) close with the chorus

A B A C A B - fade

Another thing to get you out af a rut is a new approach to your guitar playing........how about a "new" tuning? Or a progression with a "new" chord.....one you've never used...like a "G" barre chord with the 1st and 2nd strings ringing open....to "F" barre with the same open strings.........

E-mail me if you need more motivation !! boogieman@midmo.com

:D

• Members

Originally posted by 1boogieman

Perhaps you need "form". In short arrange your progression so you have - Example:

A) verse - verse B) chorus A) verse - verse C) Refrain or modulation/key change A) verse (repeat one already done) and B) close with the chorus

A B A C A B - fade

like a "G" barre chord with the 1st and 2nd strings ringing open....to "F" barre with the same open strings.........

:D

yeah I've got some form, I don't really have a problem with the music part. I do play barre chords that way :) it's my favorite way.

I'm mostly struggling with the lyrics......

• Members

Originally posted by TaoManna Don

You titled the thread "Help me walk the path." Part of the problem may be found in knowing which path you are talking about.

I was speaking of The Path. Isn't "Tao a man walking on a path"?

Out of curiosity, what lyric are you refering to? I posted one recently that was pretty "out there" for me. I used to post more lyrics and feedback around here, but lately this forum has changed. In fact the last post I made no one responded to but good olddan.

"but I don't see evidence in that lyric that you understand some of the basics"

what basics exactly are you speaking of here.......

Regardless, I'm not asking for help with the "rules" of songwriting. In fact, if you encourage folks to stay away from a quest for a record deal, what's the point of sticking to the "right way".

Mine is a quest for inspiration, I have talent for writing, singing and playing guitar. I perform well in front of people and I'm not ugly. I'd love to play music for the rest of my life. I'm just drawing a blank these days......

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe I'll try acid again.............;)

• Members

Originally posted by confuseitall

In fact the last post I made no one responded to but good olddan.

Which I found a little strange. You have spent a lot of time and effort helping other songwriters here. When you ask for a little feedback you are ignored. I don't know about you but things like that really piss me off.

Originally posted by confuseitall

I used to post more lyrics and feedback around here, but lately this forum has changed.

It's become much more of a 'hey look at me' forum than someplace to get any help. Seems to me the most replies to a lyric post are by the one who posted the lyric. :confused:

All things change tho. :)

• Members

I hear ya on the un-inspiration.

I have to look really hard for it in my life. Life is way worse than music. music is a fantastic place to hide out.

sometimes cheating - listening to songs while writing can get ya out of the rut.

I went to the beach every day for 5 months, that helped my writing - wrote every day, there.

go to places you are afraid of (that are not harmful to your health) such as open mike night at a club. If you dont live by any clubs, move to a better town.

do positive things. go get a date with that hot chick that you always wanted to go out with.

anything besides drugs or STDs (joke?) ...this is the worst place for inspiration, as any bumb can tell ya...

hope it helps some, good luck!

Archived