Recommend me a vocal training book!

Mind Riot

• Members

Well, I searched extensively in my area and there are no vocal lessons to be had within a two hour drive of where I live, and that's just out of the question. I have a decent knowledge of theory and play guitar, bass guitar, and drums quite well, but singing is my least experienced area musically. I know nothing can substitute vocal lessons but there just aren't any to be had around here so I was wondering if anybody knew of a really good book on vocal training.

I.E., how to hold your head, throat, chest, what posture, warm up and range exercises, proper enuciation, that sort of thing. The style of music I do could be called art rock, but it's pretty heavy stuff some of the time. But at the same time, I do a lot of mellower acoustic work, so I would like to develop my voice to be powerful and edgy as well as controlled. I have been singing for about five years but have never had any formal training aside from high school choir. After reading some of the posts on here I'm a bit concerned about damaging my voice if I do something wrong, so I would like some help.

So anybody know a good book on singing/vocal training? Any thought's appreciated!!

• Members

"How to Train Singers" by Larra Browning Henderson - very comprehensive and helps you learn how to sing without destroying your voice. Also a little hard to find, though very worthwhile.

"The Professional Vocalist" by Rachel Lebon; has some very good exercises in there. A little hard to find but worthwhile.

"Rock and Roll Singers' Survival Manual" - a valuable no-nonsense book that also teaches singing without destroying your voice.

"Secrets of Singing: Male (Low and High Voice)" - Jeffery Allen; the CDs that come along with it can be helpful to complement the text.

You can't go wrong with any of the above 4. There are subtle nuances in how they explain the fundamentals, but they are all based on breathing properly, clear enunciation and developing healthy habits. Just choose one that is either the cheapest or the easiest to find at your bookstore or online.

I'm sure folks will recommend Seth Riggs - the problem is, the Seth Riggs techniques are akin to the Atkins Diet - it's controversial. Seth Riggs methods aren't controversial because it necesarily translates to faster progress - it's just a different approach. Seth Riggs teachers and adherents defend it to death, though many vocal instructors, including many who teach voice at the university level, tend to dismiss it as bunk and potentially dangerous for your vocal cords. It also doesn't help the credibility of the technique when there are accusations that Seth Riggs works like a pyramid/Ponzi scheme because of the way it certifies teachers. Again, like the Atkins Diet there's no conclusive proof, and I personally don't have a strong opinion on it, but why bother with potentially risking your vocal cords if there are so many other books and teachers that teach you the 'traditional' and healthy way?

• Members

just checking,

did you already check out the phone book, the local high school (all competent singing instructors - including choir directors - should know the fundamental basics, which everyone should master ...breathing, scale progressions, raised palate, voice placement...

Archived