Wow... how much does Ben Harper sound like David Ruffin?

rememberduane

• Members

I like Ben Harper, but honestly he's not even close to being in the same league as David Ruffin. There's a cool documentary about the Funk Brothers called "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" and in it Ben Harper sings a couple of songs, one of them is Ain't too Proud to Beg. He's good, but he's no David Ruffin.

David Ruffin was amazing.

• Members

I like Ben Harper, but honestly he's not even close to being in the same league as David Ruffin. There's a cool documentary about the Funk Brothers called "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" and in it Ben Harper sings a couple of songs, one of them is Ain't too Proud to Beg. He's good, but he's no David Ruffin.

David Ruffin was amazing.

I don't think he's as good, but I do think he sounds a lot like him in his inflection and his note selection. Especially the way he transitions into high notes. Take a listen with that in mind.

• Members

I don't think he's as good, but I do think he sounds a lot like him in his inflection and his note selection. Especially the way he transitions into high notes. Take a listen with that in mind.

Don't get me wrong Ben Harper is great & does get in the ballpark, plus I really like his music.

For me though, David Ruffin resides on the Mt. Olympus of vocalists.

Archived