8ohm THD hot plate with 16ohm cab?

vinylphile

• Members

Hi all,

Is it safe to use an 8ohm hot plate between an 8ohm output tap on a tube amp and a 16ohm 112 cab? My impression is that this is a safe impedance mismatch - i.e. going the other way (16-->8ohms) is what might cause problems.

Thanks!

I'ts best to *match* if possible, however, Ed Degenaro from THD has stated several times that this is OK, just set the amp to the lowest load in the chain...in your case, set the amp to/plug into 8Ohm.

The frequency compensation won't sound the same..indeed the differing impedance will change the tone overall.

If your amp blows up...I'm not responsible, nor is Ed, nor THD....but this is straight from the horses mouth as it can get!

• Members

I'ts best to *match* if possible, however, Ed Degenaro from THD has stated several times that this is OK, just set the amp to the lowest load in the chain...in your case, set the amp to/plug into 8Ohm.

The frequency compensation won't sound the same..indeed the differing impedance will change the tone overall.

If your amp blows up...I'm not responsible, nor is Ed, nor THD....but this is straight from the horses mouth as it can get!

I think it says that in the actual 2 page "manual" too. But like you said, they are optimized for the specific impedance ratings, so it may not sound as good mismatched.

Archived