Riff first or chord progression first?

Rocinante

• Members

I was wondering if people generally write riffs based on chord progressions or chords, or instead write chord progressions around the riff (or hook) of a piece.

Whenever I try to come up with riffs, I rarely seem able to step outside a couple of over-familiar patterns, such as vi-V-IV.

How important would you say it is to set up a drum groove first before trying to write a riff?

• Members

It depends. Usually, if I'm writing from scratch I have riffs before I have chords. If I'm playing a song where the chords are already established, then I usually try to find a way to make it more interesting with some kinda riffs.

• Members

Then alot of times i'll just improvise and get into a groove and something happens. Some times at work i'll hear something in my head that seems cool. usually a melodic lead phrase and it becomes a song from there. Some times in 5 minutes and some are still waiting after 20 yrs. travelin through time is one of those songs i'll attempt again soon . There is no right or wrong way imo

but i'm no expert either is anybody?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/bluesmann8music.htm

• Members

this is an interesting topic, I think...

I find that usually I don't really "write chords" at all

I write a main riff/motif and then build around it...I think I am more of a modal player, in general, I just try to figure out what key the song is in, and then just write riffs + stuff in that key that match up with other riffs and what have you...

• Members

I approach it like building a house.

The rhythm is the foundation, so I start there with drums and bass. Melody is next. Then I add a progression around the melody, and then write lyrics. I have a ton or riffs that I've come up with, so I just try them all until I find one which fits, amybe tweak it a bit.

Archived