Any ideas on how to get my ass in gear?

digiology

• Members

Howdy, I have loads of half written songs but putting all the bits together and actually recording it is something I have been putting off for a year now. I'd like to my a new album by the end of the summer but Im lazy, any ideas?

How do you overcome procrastination?

• Members

The best way I know to overcome procrastination is to look at the task at hand as a series of small tasks that can be accomplished through planning.

Give yourself goals and assignments, set aside time, even if it's just for an hour or two on certain days in which to get things done.

For example:

Day 1: 4:30pm after work-6:30pm Write 3rd verse for Song 2.

Day 2: Get a six pack. Ask Bill to come over with his guitar and see if he can help me come up with a bridge structure for Song4. 7:30pm-9:00pm

Day 3: Lunch Hour: Look through the newspaper and pull out any interesting phrases that I might be able to use and write them in a notebook.

Day 4: Make a list of related words and rhymes for Song5.

Day 5: record self singing into tape recorder with songs 1-4 as they exist today. Take a drive and listen to the tape. What is missing? What sounds good? What doesn't flow? Doe something need a bridge? Another verse? Chorus? Solo?

Should I take out a bridge in Song 3 because it's akward?

Etc..

Just do one small task every day and before you know it you will have lots of things 3/4 done instead of 1/2 done.

B

• Members

I have the same problem, lots of half written songs, no complete ones. I would suggest narrowing down your songs and ideas into a definite set that you are confident and happy with. Disregard all the rest. Play these songs to your self as much as you can and, basically try and go with the flow and see how the songs work themselves out.

That's what I'm doing at least. I've made a promise to not get sidetracked and start another new song while the rest remain incomplete.

..........or is your problem simply recording the songs?? :D

Archived