fender guys

Leftovercrack

• Members

im looking to upgrade my fender hot rod deville to something that sounds better. im looking for another fender style amp and i really like the twin reverb but its a bit pricey for me. i was wondering what else i should be looking at. whats the deluxe reverb like? im a regular gigging musician (with a crazy heavy handed drummer) so im worried about maintaining head room. i rely on pedals for all my dirt aswell. and ive never played a vibrolux either im thinking 40 watts should be enough. oh and what are good prices for some of these amps used too

• Members

Not a fender but have you ever looked at the Rivera line? You may find they suit your needs.

I am in the market for one myself and was really pleased with how amazingly american the cleans were. Plus they have an equally good overdrive channel even tho you use pedals for driving your amp it is always nice to have another flavor. It's alittle more natural sounding.

Plus Riveras are known for great build quality.

Take a look see.

• Members

im looking to upgrade my fender hot rod deville to something that sounds better. im looking for another fender style amp and i really like the twin reverb but its a bit pricey for me. i was wondering what else i should be looking at. whats the deluxe reverb like? im a regular gigging musician (with a crazy heavy handed drummer) so im worried about maintaining head room. i rely on pedals for all my dirt aswell. and ive never played a vibrolux either im thinking 40 watts should be enough. oh and what are good prices for some of these amps used too

If you like the Twin but want something a little cheaper (and less heavy), a Super/Super Reverb is definitely one you'll want to look at.

The Deluxe Reverb is a classic & in good shape is a great sounding amp. The thing I like about DRs is that you can get good clean and moderately overdriven sounds at stage levels. The reissue version is a good amp & reasonably priced but is a very different animal from the original DR. I recommend trying both.

The Vibrolux Reverb is my favorite Fender amp & IMO nearly the perfect stage amp. Like the DR, it has great clean & overdriven sounds but a "bigger" more open sound, owing to bigger transformers, 6L6s (rather than 6V6s), and 2x10 instead of 1x12 speaker. Again, the RI is not the same as the original. Unfortunately, the originals are quite expensive. I've seen them go for $1700-$2000 in good shape.

A good "budget" alternative to the VR a Bandmaster Reverb. BR heads can be had in good shape for $300-$400 (last time I checked). Paired with a good cabinet, they make a very good stage amp.

Another VR alternative, though not a cheap one, is Allen Amplification's Encore, or another clone/variation on the theme amp.

Again, make sure you know the difference between the originals & the reissues. Some of the RIs are good amps but often they bear little resemblance to their namesakes.

Archived