I think I may be heading down the path of a rack rig

Davetopay

• Members

I keep looking for a simple solution to my amp quandry, I think that solution is a rack rig. I want real flexibility for use at home, multiple sounds for the studio, and point and shoot live simplicity.

I haven't messed with any of this gear at all since the late 80's/early 90's. I'm thinking what I want sound wise(based upon foggy memories) was to be found in the digitech2101 unit.....remember, I am reaching way back in the vault here. I hate to admit it but I love 80's guitar tones.LOL I wouldn't mind the flexibility to do some newer sounds as well.

What would you all suggest as a starting point? I don't want to have a metric {censored} to of gear in a rack, but a functional, good sounding rig. Effects aren't end all be all either. I'd like to be able to throw a little chorus on some cleans or maybe work in a some harmonizing for certain parts, but it wouldn't be the main reason for picking a unit.

• Members

a good power amp is crucial. don't skimp.

A $150 preamp can absolutely kill through a $750 power amp.

A $1500 preamp WILL sound {censored}ing weak through a {censored}ty or mistuned power amp.

also, good cables (anything from George L's to Mogami or Lava) can make a mediocre rig sound great.

Archived