Those mystical magical song structures

Kendrix

• Members

Here is what I have to say about this topic...

I never thing about song structure, consciously, anyway...

While I'm writing, I guess I kind of just think to myself... "What would I like to hear next, if I was listening to this song?", and that's what I do.

I'm pretty sure that the decisions I make are rooted in the 'typical' song structures that I have heard over the past 35 years, but I don't really think about it. I just let it happen.

• Members

Originally posted by stikygum

I came across a song that is really big in the underground scene in clubs right now. It mixes synths, guitars, drums (including a Sherman Filterbank for making it crunchy) and the synths do the bass. It's a well laid out song, but it uses a really long and out of the ordinary song structure.

This is what I gathered from listening to it. The Song structure seems to be like this (and I did study this carefully):

Short Intro, A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D, E, A, C (longer), E. Man, that seems like a lot.

The A and B seem to be like a verse but are definitely totally different from each other in structure.

C seems to be a Pre-Chorus.

D must be the Chorus.

E seems to act like a bridge (, but it's filled with more energy than the chorus or any other part of the song).

It actually really flows. I can't find a clip for you guys to listen on the net. You can download it from Limewire, I checked it.

The Song is by the Band 'Razed in Black' and the song is 'Oh my Goth'. Funny title.

I'm curious if the song structure I listed above is right. I've just never noticed a structure like this before.

it doesnt really get too non-traditional 'til after the second chorus... before that it's just an intro, and a couple of verse/chorus sets, just with a two-part verse and a prechorus. not uncommon...

it flows well because it turns off into unfamiliar territory exactly where you'd expect--- after the second chorus.. the usual place for a bridge. then comes out of the bridge with the familiar verse and chorus parts, and uses the bridge riff for the ending.

not really all that off-the-wall, but seems to be a pretty well-put-together song

• Members

as for the topic

i say, it depends on the band.

some can get away with using mostly traditional song structures, because like you've said, there IS a challenge in keeping that fresh, and when accomplished it helps make a good memorable song. sometimes thats the point

but i think at this point, for the most part, the standard song structure has had its day. there is so much that music has to offer that we are limiting by sticking with this format.

i think that it's best to just sit down and write, and however it flows, whatever it feels right to play, play. once you get good enough at doing that and ignoring the norms-- just concentrating on what sounds best to go into next considering the context, you can come out with some really intriguing stuff

• Members

I try to mix it up as much as possible. One of my writing goals is to keep all of my songs from sounding like all the rest of my songs, and sometimes I do this with structure. I think my best one is a DABABCDABCE, where A=verse, B=prechorus, C=Chorus, D=instrumental/intro, and E is a variant on the chorus. My Chorus has the same backing chords as my verse, with a completely different melody, obviously. The song is about 3 1/2 minutes. Not considering the melody, the song structure would go like this: DABABADABAA.

• Members

Originally posted by tamoore

Here is what I have to say about this topic...

I never thing about song structure, consciously, anyway...

While I'm writing, I guess I kind of just think to myself... "What would I like to hear next, if I was listening to this song?", and that's what I do.

I'm pretty sure that the decisions I make are rooted in the 'typical' song structures that I have heard over the past 35 years, but I don't really think about it. I just let it happen.

+1

This is where I'm coming from as well. Almost everything I do with song structure is intuitive. At least part of the reason for this may be due to the fact that my "day job" involves a highly structured non-creative environment. Song writing for me is a creative outlet. If it resembles "work" in any way I'm just not gonna do it.

• Members

Originally posted by tamoore

That's what I always try and do too. I can never explain it right to my bandmates.

But I just imagine the song we're writing is all ready finished, written by someone else, and I hear it in my head, how it would go if it was all ready a song.

Archived