6l6 v el34 in Laney VH100R?

lenster

• Members

buy good speakers (but NOT vintage 30's if you're trying to get rid of harshness)

dial out some of the extra gain knob

try different tube brands, but don't go el34

if possible, have it modded

my luthier modded his vh100r and it sounds a lot better than the stock one i've played

• Members

buy good speakers (but NOT vintage 30's if you're trying to get rid of harshness)

dial out some of the extra gain knob

try different tube brands, but don't go el34

if possible, have it modded

my luthier modded his vh100r and it sounds a lot better than the stock one i've played

What type of mods?

Greenbacks ?

Heritage 30s?

My guitar tech could probably do the mod but would to know what type of mod./

• Members

Supposedly there's a "bright cap" you can disable, but it's in the middle of a bunch of big blue caps on the board, and I didn't feel safe trying it.

The bright cap is a single capacitor that allows the treble part of the signal to bypass a level reducing resistor in between gain stages. The effect is like a treble boost. Marshall use exactly the same thing in their classic circuits. It's normally 470pF, and should be a little round ceramic disc cap...

Hmm, I've just looked up the schematics and I'm pretty sure the bright cap value listed is incorrect for the GH.... it's component C9 on page 3.... this is the link -

They have it as 22nF, but that doesn't make sense, it should be 470pF. The pF range caps Laney use are little round yellow/brown things. Their 22nF caps are bigger, blue and square. A 22nF cap in that position would cause the entire audio signal to bypass the resistor.

on the VH/VC diagram it's C10 on page 4 and it's listed value of 470p is correct. The drive channel of the VH100R and VC50R is the same as a GH.

Removing that cap tames the treble spike these amps have at high gain. Changing it to a different value alters what frequency the 'boost' starts at. Connecting one end to ground rather than bypassing the resistor gives you a treble cut, like a 'dark' switch.

I've modded my VC50 with two additional switches.... the first selects between cap values of 470pF (stock) and 220pF, the second is a 3 position which makes the selected cap a 'bright cap' (stock), a 'dark' cap, or bypasses it altogether. Generally I have it bypassed.

Incidentally, the difference between the Laney and classic Marshall sound is C4, the 47pF cap on V1a.

I've been trying to find a tech locally I trust enough to do this, with no luck.

Personally, I feel the EL34s have smoother highs than 6L6s, but they don't have the huge low end. The KT77s have the smooth highs, but more low end and more headroom(less grit).

• Members

EL34s will give you less bass and a brighter more Marshally tone. Celestion V30s would accent it further since they give a strong midrange punch.

I replaced the TAD EL34s in my GH50L with Winged "C" 6L6GC, have a NOS RFT in V1 and TungSols in the rest of the preamp slots. It's much smoother now but I do have V30s so mids are still strong and I need more bass. I have a Boss GE-7 Equalizer but it's crap, sounding like someone threw a blanket over the amp and adding a lot of hiss. Someone recommended the Pro Tone BoomBox stompbox to me so I have that coming. I hope that will allow me to contour the tone better, if not I'll swap out the speakers, maybe with Celestion G12T-75s.

• Members

What type of mods?

Greenbacks ?

Heritage 30s?

My guitar tech could probably do the mod but would to know what type of mod./

i think he did the bright cap mod, swapped the EL34's for EL34L's, biased it right and tweaked the tone stack section too

his amp sounds a lot fatter and clearer than the stock one

but there's a lot of different mods you can do

you can even turn it into something very close to a Bogner Ectasy or Fish

both have similar JCM based circuits with one extra gain stage and different values, so changing some resistors and capacitors, you can have a completely different tone

i don't know which speaker will match it well, but the Vintage 30 made it sound very harsh and spikey

i'd try G12H30's or Greenbacks

Archived