How to get the most of your voice?

The Idiot

• Members

I seem to have a problem getting the most out of my voice. In other words, it seems like I can't find my middle voice, it's either too low or too high. When I sing along to a song, like for example a Nick Cave tune, I get out of breath fairly quickly because I'm striving to emulate his middle-voice but I just can't do it because I have no power. If this all makes sense, please add some suggestions if you can, this has been a huge problem for me since I've went through puberty. I used to sing like a bird. I still sing on key, that's not a problem at all, I just don't have any power and I am unable to find a good confortable singing range. The most practical solution would be to get a singing coach, but are there other options? I've heard doing scales is the best approach for expanding one's range, should I go that route?Thanks in advance...

• Members

One route is getting one of the books with CDs about vocal training. But, you know, that's sort of like trying to learn to ride a bike by reading. Try a coach - just a lesson or two might do it. You don't have to commit to months.

• Members

Originally posted by Hugo H

One route is getting one of the books with CDs about vocal training. But, you know, that's sort of like trying to learn to ride a bike by reading. Try a coach - just a lesson or two might do it. You don't have to commit to months.

Yeah, that's probably my best option.

• Members

Try 'set your voice free' by Roger Love. You can get his book/CD from Amazon.com for pretty cheap. He talks about devoloping your 'middle voice'. I've been 'practicing' with him for a month now and have noticed a very real improvement in my voice. Good luck!

Bob

• Members

I'm a very limited singer myself, but I've had the good fortune to have gigged with some very good singers. I did a sideman gig on guitar with one of my favorite local singers a few years back. I remember vividly when we were going through the set list (totally improv), he told me, "Do it in either A or G." So basically, every song we did, mostly old blues and classic rock stuff, had to be transposed (on the spot) to A or G. Anyway, he knew EXACTLY where his range was, and within the limitations of just two keys, he is a very powerful and dynamic singer.

I took that to heart, since I do a lot of singing in my own band. I started searching for the keys that suited my range. And believe me, that really helps when you have very limited vocal power (like me). So whether you buy a book or get a coach, you can search around for your own key(s) by transposing some of your favorite songs to different keys, and try and find the key(s) that suit your own vocal limits...

g-o

• Members

Hi there!

I currently am taking voice lessons from a former Seth Riggs associate. Seth Riggs teaches a technique called "speech Level Singing" which seems to be the best one out there today. Seth Riggs has trained countless music stars and movie stars. Just do a search and you'll find that he's trained practically everyone you can think of. He's the best.

You can find his book which comes with two audio cd's. It's called "Singing For The Stars".

A quick note about Roger Love:

Roger Love is a former student of Seth Riggs. At one time Seth Riggs needed someone to help with Earth, Wind, and Fire while he was out of town. Roger Love helped, but was by no means their permanent vocal coach. However, he advertises as if he was. He also claims he invented the technique, but he learned everything from Seth Riggs. He's like a t.v. preacher. He stretches the truth (*cough* lies *cough*).

The other important thing to know about Roger Love is that he doesn't teach you everything you need to know. I own his DVD. The problem is he will teach you a technique used to experience a sensation, but he won't tell you that you aren't supposed to keep doing it after you've experienced it. So, you could be doing some harm rather than good.

As the others said, I would recommend at least a 1/2 hour every two weeks with a vocal teacher that uses the speech level singing technique. This is what I do and I have improved drastically.

Best of luck, and keep singing!

-Daniel

• Members

check out the book "Secrets Of Singing (Male Low & High voice)" by Jefferey Allen. Great book, comes with two CDs with scales etc for those with high and low voices. Recommended to me by the very excellent Keith Slack of Steelhouse Lane fame. If your willing toput the practise in it's well worth getting. I had a couple of lessons myself before I got this book and I must say I wasn't that convinced by them, I personally have learned more from practising from this book than I learned in my couple of lessons.

• Members

Contemporary-style singers use a lot of air through the vocal cords to get a soft sound, which can work acceptably well if you're close-miked so you don't need to put out much volume. Your dynamic range will be severely limited singing this way, however.

Theatrical singing (classical/opera/musicals) relies on getting a "focus" to your vocal tone, which becomes brighter or sharper in nature. Singing this way is about as efficient as you can be in terms of air conservation.

Instrument-wise, think of the airy sound of a flute in its lower registers vs. a violin. Vocally, the feel is similar to when you're trying to shout to someone far away (maximizing your vocal efficiency) and you're able to get something like a barking sound for a very short time. If you can back off the volume from shouting level, but still retain the same "bite" while singing a tone, you're on the right track.

Archived