this dumb deek just posted a new song - demoralize me as you see fit

bluesway

• Members

hey all, this song is called 'gone' and it's one of those rare instances when a vocal melody came to be before i even picked up the instrument to write. i thought of the pre-chorus in the shower - washing my ass.

all input is welcome. i plan on re-recording b/c i don't like the 'sound' of the production too much (drums, especially).

okay, enough. just check it out, if you have the chance.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=488094

ps - any input on categorizing my work is welcome. i have no idea where to post all my songs. thanx

• Members

for my money, this is quality...

its a bit outside of my usual listening but has some nice playing, nice note selection in the solo, great groove, nice shape to the melody in both verse and chorus. like the change into the chorus but if i was really trying to find fault id say its a little one paced in such as it doesnt have a lot of dynamic range from one section to the next but im not sure it even needs it as its all about the groove. Also, maybe the vocals should come in a little earlier but perhaps thats me judging with my pop sensibility and maybe that doesnt really apply to this kinda track either

also, vocally it reminds me of a much more pleasent sounding Anthony Kiedis

as for categorising.... I guess it sits nicely within the 'jazz-funk-blues-interstellar-grooveship' genre??? :confused::D

Great work bluesway!

russ

• Members

It's great!

I think the singing really goes with this type of music, the guitar tone is really nice too, very mellow.

At some times the vocals are a bit too quiet in relation to the rest of the music I feel, around 1:20 minutes in is a good example. For the most part though, things sound distinct enough.

The overall sound though is great though, I prefer it to the other 2 you have up there. Flows very well, and the guitar riff in the intro and chorus I think it is is pretty sweet.

• Members

Originally posted by bluesway

hey all, this song is called 'gone' and it's one of those rare instances when a vocal melody came to be before i even picked up the instrument to write. i thought of the pre-chorus in the shower - washing my ass.

all input is welcome. i plan on re-recording b/c i don't like the 'sound' of the production too much (drums, especially).

okay, enough. just check it out, if you have the chance.

ps - any input on categorizing my work is welcome. i have no idea where to post all my songs. thanx

nice...the vocals fit the slinky, funky groove of the song perfectly...and drums sound great, especially that hi hat...the whole song flows naturally from section to section. As for contructive criticism, I'd say the sound... with headphones on mind you, sounds a bit mono-ish...like everything is panned straight up the middle (minus the odd part here or there that were intenntionally done hard left or right) , particulary the drums...if it were me, I'd try doubling some of the chords and/or licks , and pan them hard left and right , mixed a bit lower, just to give the track some fatter spaciousness.....if not thruout the tune, at least thru the choruses for more impact...overall very solid though!

ps- have you noticed how dreadfully soundclick treats your mp3 after upload? I was struck by how much quality got lost going from my mp3 on my pc to soundclick...wish they'd let me upload the actual mixed down .wav file ...sounds soooo much better!

• Members

Great groove and tones. I think the chorus is a bit of a letdown vocally. the instrumental parts during the chorus are good, but the vocals just kind of mutter along. Then again, I'm into Motown/Beatles/Celine Dion style big choruses. The pre-chorus is more "hooky" than the chorus.

Ditto on the vocals, but the rest of the mix is good. If you want comment on the lyrics, you should post them seperately--they're hard to make out, which is fine--maybe they're not that important.

Sounds like Jamiriqoui (sp?).

• Members

Great lyrical phrasing and performance. One word comes to mind listening to this: natural. Nothing sounds forced. Awesome vibe.

As a counterpoint to Chicken Monkey, I thought the chorus was the best part, and fits very well after the pre-chorus.

• Members

wow. i'm really pleased to hear you guys were feeling it.

spiltmilk - thanx for the input. yeah, i noticed that about dynamics, too. the original intent was for the bridge to break the groove and create a down section, but i was tooling with that inverted bassline and got excited, so the groove breaks, but the dynamic is right around the same. i'll look in soundclick for their 'jazz-funk-blues-interstellar-grooveship' category listing!

tommo - thanks, man. i'm having issues trying to mix it and get it to sound alright. i'm going to look at vox volume more carefully now.

virtuohno - that panning thing is what i was saying the re-record was necessary for. starting, though, with the drums. i did the tune with a four input interface and now i have double that and some overhead mics. i think i could open it up better. i've just been introduced to the concept of doubling and i'm going to play with it soon - maybe since you dug the drums, i'll try the doubling thing with the guits first and see where it goes. thanks for the input

toxic - i'm not going to be satisfied until i have successfully achieved musical courtship with the pepsi corporation and regularly sing to a sequence in a snug tee shirt that says something cool with my personal trainer on the side cheering me on.

chicken monkey - the prechorus is definitely where i felt the hook melody is hidden. i just wanted to leave the chorus open to hear the lead guitar interplay with the vox and create an instrumental hook, but it is very, very minimal singing which is not customary at all. (ps - i'm feeling you on the motown/beatles, but celine? ouch! lol)

darins - much appreciated, man. i was going for that.

i take everything everybody says about my projects into very sincere consideration; thanks for your time. i'm off to the shower.

• Members

I have no sense of the possible relation but it sounds like santana to me.actually your drums are better than my best recordings.

I agree with some of the previous comments, especially the one about the dynamics.I was xepecting some change towards the end but it vanished into an ascending continuation of the groove.some surprise would be nice somewhere towards the end.

and you,Toxic,have to produce something as commercial as an half eaten banana before you are allowed to the house of the rising industry,untill then you have to obey your servant:)

• Members

Originally posted by janusmanus

...and you,Toxic,have to produce something as commercial as an half eaten banana before you are allowed to the house of the rising industry,untill then you have to obey your servant:)

el_monkeyachi_md_wht.gif

Archived