Mark IV Problem? (With clip)

J.L.C.

• Members

So I'm trying to figure out if there's a problem with my amp, cab, speakers, or if I'm just too picky.

But, I hear an annoying buzz/fizz with single note stuff on my recently purchased Mark IV. Clean channel sounds great, R2, sounds pretty good, but I really notice this buzz on the lead channel.

The amp was made in 2001 and was owned by 2 guys before me, the guy before me got it on ebay and had it shipped by UPS. I noticed the epoxy and label on on the transformer beside the power tubes has some worn/melted spots and the AC receptacle is kinda loose.

The cab is a Bogner 212 with V30s, which also had 2 owners before me.

The guitar is a solid mahogany body and neck, through the bridge pickup which is an SD custom-5 (SH-14).

Amp settings, lead channel:

Gain - 8 pulled

Treble - 8

Bass - 2.5

Mid - 2.5

Drive - 7.5 pushed

Presence - 2 pulled

Channel Master - 4

Output Master - 2

GEQ - Typical V

Full power, harmonics, Simulclass (EL34 and 6L6)

Recorded with an SM57 > Audio Buddy > Audiophile 24/96

The playing isn't anything, I was just trying to see if I could capture the buzz I'm hearing (complete recording n00b).

The clip:

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25939

• Members

Try pushing in the Presence knob
Lower the GEQ slider on the 6600 freq
Turn down the volume on your guitar

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823816&highlight=mark+iv

I hope SFW won't mind me posting his template...

SFWMarkIV.jpg

Overdriven and Gainfreak have excellent templates to check out too

Different pickups and cabs will make a huge difference with the MKIV
See if you can find a Mesa 4x12 w C90s...

• Members

sounds normal to me too... takes a while to tweak that last little bit on a mark iv.

that said, if either of the previous owners did some recreational tube swapping, it's quite likely they may have "upgraded" to some crap-tastic new tubes that sound poopalicious. if you have any spare tubes around you might try swapping them one by one to see if any improvement happens. front panel detaches for easy access - held on with velcro, usually.

• Members

I'm starting to think I just need to let my ears adjust....

I've had a long time off of playing, and was using a V-Amp2 for a couple years before the layoff........

So it might be harmonics that I just wasn't getting through the plastic amp and headphones

Or.....V30s just aren't for me. I was thinking of maybe sticking a CL80 in there with one of the V30s.

I'll definitely give those settings up above a try - I like the looks of the GEQ!

Archived