My supersonic is sounding thin... tubes?

deluxe74

• Members

Ive been using Winged C SED's for power tubes and old stock 12AX7's but it sounded good with the stock tubes too.Now it sounds a bit better. The SED 's seem like nice tubes so far. Mine never sounded thin though? (OK the Vibrolux clean side does a bit but I use it sparingly for jangly stuff) The burn channel has always sounded meaty. Its the reason I bought the amp.
Mine's the head version and I play thru an open back 2x12 loaded with a G12H-30 and g12-65. Big warm full. Sometimes I think almost not enough high end!
What does the rest of your rig consist of? Have you tried another guitar? Have you tried swapping out the pre amp tubes to see if it makes any difference? Bob

• Members

OHH! I forgot to add that if the amps bias hasnt been checked do so or have it done! These amps came thru notoriously cold! Mine was set at 23 ma from the factory! The factory setting is supposed to be around 33ma! It can make for a thin sounding amp for sure. With a bias probe it takes 10 minutes to do. Bob

• Members

Ive been using Winged C SED's for power tubes and old stock 12AX7's but it sounded good with the stock tubes too.Now it sounds a bit better. The SED 's seem like nice tubes so far. Mine never sounded thin though? (OK the Vibrolux clean side does a bit but I use it sparingly for jangly stuff) The burn channel has always sounded meaty. Its the reason I bought the amp.

Mine's the head version and I play thru an open back 2x12 loaded with a G12H-30 and g12-65. Big warm full. Sometimes I think almost not enough high end!

What does the rest of your rig consist of? Have you tried another guitar? Have you tried swapping out the pre amp tubes to see if it makes any difference? Bob

I have a strat and a les paul and they both sound thin. My eq right now is at

Treble 2

Bass 8

and it's still thin. But when I put it on the bassman setting it's just too thick so I can't find a happy medium. I think an eq may be in order.

• Members

I was having problems with EH tubes (Sovtec) in my Hellhound the power tubes were the main problem, they just didn't sound good or last long. With a little testing and some research I found out they didn't hold up to the HH's plate voltage 483V and a tad on the hot side of the chart for dissipation. I picked up some Ruby 6L6GCMSTR at the local music store they catter to Peavey and Peavey is using Rubys, or they were. I tried them and they sounded good and have out lasted the EH tubes 3 to 1. Last time I tested them they still measured like new on my Tube Tester, that's after 3 years of steady use. The next time I retube my '75 Fender Twin I'll try the Ruby's. Don't know if this helps you but thought I'd offer my experience for your thoughts.

BTW you could have a bad preamp tube or driver tube.

• Members

I have a strat and a les paul and they both sound thin. My eq right now is at

Treble 2

Bass 8

and it's still thin. But when I put it on the bassman setting it's just too thick so I can't find a happy medium. I think an eq may be in order.

Most guys use the Bassman side for cleans. I generally stick to the Vibro side for clean ,cleans.I use a 12AU7 in the V2 to help it stay clean. This only affects the clean channel. You might try a darker tube in this spot.Honestly I dont like the cleans on this amp as much as the dirty channel which I bought the amp for. Who would have thought of buying a Fender for its dirty channel! Best dirty channel Ive heard on a Fender.

As I mentioned its important to have the bias checked on these amps. They came thru on the cold side frequently. Mine was way cold. This could make things worse. Good luck Bob

Archived