Keep Your Skillet Greasy

Chicken Monkey

• Members

Hey fellas, a few of you tried out one of my demos the last time I posted a link to soundclick, and expressed interest in the full band version. It's available at myspace.com/aereoplainband. Please be aware of the following disclaimers:

For some reason, the volume is really low.

It was recorded in one take, with simultaneous vocal and guitar. The kazoo is an overdub.

I do not have the master recording, so I cannot post it on soundclick.

I did not do the mixdown, and am not sure I agree with some of the decisions made during mixdown.

I wrote the song, but do not endorse the views expressed in either end of the double entendre.

The lyrics follow.

Keep Your Skillet Greasy

Keep your skillet greasy

Keep your oven hot

When I bring home the bacon,

I've got a hambone for your pot.

I don't want to salad dressing,

I don't want no margarine,

I wanna taste your gravy, baby,

rolling down my chin.

I don't wanna eat my dinner out of no tin can,

So keep your skillet greasy for your man.

Keep your biscuits baking,

Let me see those biscuits rise.

I love it when you spread that jelly

right before my eyes.

Don't you clear the dishes, darling,

when the dinner's done,

I'll always come for seconds,

'Cause you're second to none.

I like you, baby, but I love your frying pan,

So keep that skillet greasy for your man.

(Br.)

Some men get their dinner from a microwave,

But you know that's not my style.

When you do it for me the old-fashioned way,

Ooh, it just drives me wild.

I like you, baby, but I love your frying pan,

So keep that skillet greasy for your man.

• Members

I'm not sure what this is missing. It's nice and extremely traditional. I think some nice harmony vocals with a few black chicks might make it really good. I like the ole-time lyrical nastiness of this.

It's a nice novelty tune. I guess that's as far as I can go.

• Members

I was just going to bump this, but I'll reply--Tullster, that's all there is to it. I'm only posting it because interest was expressed.

I also wanted to share that my fiddler (a woman) said, as she paid attention to the lyric for the first time, that a few of the lines turned her stomach. As a songwriter, you dream of writing a song that people react to on a gut level, and for me, nausea is good enough.

Thanks for listening, and for being charitable.

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

I was just going to bump this As a songwriter, you dream of writing a song that people react to on a gut level, and for me, nausea is good enough.

It's funny to me and I like the way it be sanged.

the progression is interestink as all get out (key change?)and seems to be a goode rendition Even ifffen it is a bit rough. I most times practice for two weeks before I begin recording in ernest. then fourty takes later I have my first track. ahahaha!

Iffen you ask me and some folkes have, uh I'd redo it a few times and tune down a half step to stop the um you know, then double the main axe and double the main vocal then add one more vocal to harmonize and double that. maybe make up some fills for the vocal-less areas and dub them in.

then bake at four hunner'd for fourteen hours and twelve minutes.

• Members

Originally posted by Chicken Monkey

I was just going to bump this, but I'll reply--Tullster, that's all there is to it. I'm only posting it because interest was expressed.

I also wanted to share that my fiddler (a woman) said, as she paid attention to the lyric for the first time, that a few of the lines turned her stomach. As a songwriter, you dream of writing a song that people react to on a gut level, and for me, nausea is good enough.

Fun song, but I agree with your fiddler... there are some really.... nasty images being painted here.....

You perform it flawlessly, though!! To sing and play like some of you guys... Ugggh!! I'm soooo jealous hanging around here!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Tullsterx

I'm not sure what this is missing. It's nice and extremely traditional. I think some nice harmony vocals with a few black chicks might make it really good. I like the ole-time lyrical nastiness of this.

It's a nice novelty tune. I guess that's as far as I can go.

I dont think it needs much. A bass and some keys and maybe swap out the acoustic guitar rhythm with like a semi hollow body sound just to make the guitar part easier to make flow. Use a clean tube patch on the thin line. The solo could be harp,, keys or guitar.... or more of a dixie land stye where you have eveyone ripping it up thoughout the song . Its been said that the lyrics are a little suggestive. If jimmy can have lets get drunk and screw be a classic hit ,, no reason this tune doesnt have a place in an adult venue. Personally i like it ....rat

• Members

CM,

I'd love to cover this tune (with your permission of course)! The lyric and melody has a great old timey blues thang goin'. For my version I'd slow it down and do it solo acoustic with some Blind Lemon Jefferson/Pink Anderson fingerstyle and bottle neck slide work. Oh yeah man its greasy! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by catdaddy

CM,

I'd love to cover this tune (with your permission of course)! The lyric and melody has a great old timey blues thang goin'. For my version I'd slow it down and do it solo acoustic with some Blind Lemon Jefferson/Pink Anderson fingerstyle and bottle neck slide work. Oh yeah man its greasy!
:thu:

This one's such a mish-mash of old blues imagery I feel funny granting permission. You have my blessing, but I can't speak for Bo Carter, Tampa Red, Georgia Tom, or any of the others.

I think if I had the means, it would sound something like rhat's suggestion of a Dixieland feel, with a trombone, tenor banjo, and clarinet.

Archived