Not sure what to do for a small amp

Whoopysnorp

• Members

I've realized that I need to have a small amp that's light enough to carry to impromptu events and maybe use for rehearsal at home but still sounds good. My big amps are a Rivera M100 and a Mesa/Boogie rack rig with a Studio Preamp and Simul 395, and for cabs I have a Lopo 2x12 and a Mesa Roadready 4x12. At home I play through my roommate's Studio Pre plugged into the effects return of my Kustom KLA100 (solid state combo). Since the Mesa is my main rig, I'd ideally like to get a Studio 22 or a Subway Rocket, but I'd also like to keep this purchase under $500 including shipping if I could. From what I've seen on eBay over the past week or two, the aforementioned amps tend to go for just above that. I was in GC on Saturday and played the Valve King 112 for a little while, and I actually liked the tone pretty well...I like to have a nice glassy clean channel and a lead channel with enough gain on tap to rock. I don't need metal gain though. In the store I kept the gain below 4 and the boost off, and that was plenty for me. The main thing I didn't like about it was the delay in switching channels--that is one of my major pet peeves with a lot of modern amps, and I find it really really annoying. Also, it's a little heavier than I would prefer, and definitely tons louder than what I need. On the other hand, I work for a retailer that carries it, so I can get it at a very attractive price.

I'm not necessarily averse to the idea of getting it, but I want to make sure there are no other options I have missed before I make a decision. To recap, I want an amp with two channels (or a single channel with two modes, like the Mesa stuff I use), one with a nice glassy Fendery clean and the other with enough crunch on tap to rock out some power chord riffs without needing pedals. I need {censored}-all for power--5 watts may be plenty. I've tried an Orange Tiny Terror, and thought it sounded good, but I don't want to have to re-adjust everything every time I switch from clean to lead, and also at the rate they sell for I'll be in the hole pretty deep once I find a good portable cab to go with it. I don't want something like a Valve Junior--those sound pretty cool but that's not what I'm looking for. Anybody know of an amp fitting this description that can be had for fairly cheap? Alternatively, does anybody know a way to fix the switching delay on the Valve King?

Archived