habits die hard...

plushpinkypully

• Members

when writing different songs, anyone get in the habit of writing the same type of songs or kind of get stuck in a rut of formulas? kind of like nickelbackish? for example i've got a habit of using the same chord progression for the verse and the chorus with subtle differences such as distortion or different strumming patterns. i find it hard to write a chorus that starts with a different chord than the first chord in the verse.

• Members

Try planning out a musical form to follow beforehand, and then write into that idea. For instance,

Part A, Part B, Part A, Part B, Part C, Part D, Part A, Part B.

(Verse,Chorus,Verse,Chorus, New part,New part/bridge,Verse, Chorus)

etc.

Maybe you should look into purchasing a book about music compostion or songwriting. Many times these books have insightful information that you'd never get on your own.

Writing in different ways isnt as hard as you might imagine..it just takes practice. Also, try writing for different kinds of instruments; and different kinds of music.

Hope that helps.

• Members

I hear you on this. A lot of times I will find I use the same chord progressions...BUT then again realize it is the melody which is important.

Even great artists tend to use the same stuff over and over... but often it will be in a different key so it might not pop out at you if you are browsing through their sheetmusic.

For example, I was listening to The Cars the other day... I think Ocasek must be the MASTER of the catchy 1-4-5 progression but their singles manage to be distinctive. IMHO.

With my own writing I am trying to take it back to melody... screw the chords for the moment.

• Members

Also, try different inversions of the chords. A chord with a 3rd on the base, or a lot of space between voices sounds totally different than a power chord. In addition, use the relative majors and minors, or try using parallel (same letter name) majors and minors. Those can create a more complex chord arrangement easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived