inspired anyone?

zilch42

• Members

So it's holiday time and I don't really have and band commitments at the moment so i was hoping to get back to writing music but the guitar just isnt doing what it used to for me.

So i was wondering, what type of things do you guys use for inspiration? What gets those creative rivers flowing again in the drought?

appreciate your thoughts

• Members

you say guitar isn't doing it for you, try a different instrument. The song I'm in the middle of writing at the moment came out of the bass, for a change - usually come up with ideas on the 6 string guitar.

But equally a different instrument could give me some inspiration, piano, ukulele, mandolin, drums certainly. Also I try playing around with some effects; like using a slide or ebow.

I find it particularly hard to actually look for and find inspiration. The best ideas will come to you, just make sure you've always got an eye open for one.

• Members

ive been thinking of learning the sax lately, problem is i dont really have any way of getting my hands on one. ive tried picking up a bass a few times but i seem to be one of the few guitarist who cant convert the skills. it looks like it should be simple enough...

ive also tried the effects road, bought a zoom G2.1 when it came out and was not very impressed. but maybe i should shake off the dust and give it another shot. it just always sounded fake to me

maybe i am just looking to hard, id never really thought about it that way, just keep an eye open for it

haha maybe theres a song in that

cheres

• Members

Scott Adams, the creator of the Dilbert cartoon, wrote something along these lines in one of his books:

Creativity is copying and lack of talent. You sit down and try to copy an artist that you admire. But because of your lack of talent or pure lazyness you don't manage to do a copy. Instead you end up with something that is uniquely yours.

How about that?

• Members

Originally posted by Baldrick

Scott Adams, the creator of the Dilbert cartoon, wrote something along these lines in one of his books:

Creativity is copying and lack of talent. You sit down and try to copy an artist that you admire. But because of your lack of talent or pure lazyness you don't manage to do a copy. Instead you end up with something that is uniquely yours.

How about that?

Genius.

Archived