Quick Question regarding action and tremolo springs

Faust2016

• Members

I just downtuned from drop D to Drop Cis on my Ibanez RGT. The action has gone down to the extent that the strings sustain a lot less than before, because they're hitting the frets..

Is it ok to raise the action by taking out 1 of the three trem springs?

• Members

I just downtuned from drop D to Drop Cis on my Ibanez RGT. The action has gone down to the extent that the strings sustain a lot less than before, because they're hitting the frets..

Is it ok to raise the action by taking out 1 of the three trem springs?

I know what you're trying to say. By drop tuning, you've decreased the tension on the strings, which in turn has caused the tremelo to pitch backwards because the spring tension is too high. This in turn has caused the strings to contact your frets.

You need to unscrew your tremelo cover, and un-screw the 2 screws going into the guitar body which ancor the spring claw. Then re-tune your guitar. Then look at the angle of the tremelo base plate. Keep loosening / re-tuning until your baseplate is sitting flush with the body. This will probably take more than one or two tries.

Oh, and since you're not going up in string gauge, your neck "bow" will probably need to be adjusted as well.

Damn...just google this crap next time!!

• Members
I know what you're trying to say. By drop tuning, you've decreased the tension on the strings, which in turn has caused the tremelo to pitch backwards because the spring tension is too high. This in turn has caused the strings to contact your frets.

You need to unscrew your tremelo cover, and un-screw the 2 screws going into the guitar body which ancor the spring claw. Then re-tune your guitar. Then look at the angle of the tremelo base plate. Keep loosening / re-tuning until your baseplate is sitting flush with the body. This will probably take more than one or two tries.

Oh, and since you're not going up in string gauge, your neck "bow" will probably need to be adjusted as well.

Damn...just google this crap next time!!

I googled it, but I didn't really understand it (English isn't my native language) Thanks for taking the time to type it out anyway :)
Do I have to loosen/ take out the left or right pair of screws? I ask Because the left pair is stuck really tight into the body, Couldn't I just unscrew the right pair and then take out the spring(s), or doesn't it work that way?
With that last part you mean that I need to adjust the truss rod thing? Do I have to tighten it, or make it looser?
abcd0004231pe9.jpg

Archived