song about some lady looking at something

mount trashmore

• Members

Dude this is bye far your best song ever!! IMO!!:thu:

Your vocals worked for this song. I always dig your arraingments and all that, but your vocals are generally hard for me to get my arms around.

Not that I think they are bad,It's kinda like people either dig Rush or not.

Why? Because, people either like and dig Geddy's voice or they don't!

It's the deal breaker for most. Musically, everyone say they rock.

And dude, you rock!!:thu:

You know what I'm saying!! Right??

Rock on!!

• Members

this makes me feel very good, because I was quite worried that folks might find the instrumentation/chords too simple to sustain the song. thanks for the kind words.

as for rocking...you should listen to the song discloser on the soundclick page...I bet you'll dislike the voice...but no one can say that this song does not rock.

thanks again guys for listening and liking this song ;)

• Members

this makes me feel very good, because I was quite worried that folks might find the instrumentation/chords too simple to sustain the song. thanks for the kind words.

Simplicity never makes or breaks a song. Look at Spoon. What makes or breaks a song is the song itself. Ooh, that sounds wise. And ambiguous!

• Members

Dude this is bye far your best song ever!! IMO!!
:thu:
Your vocals worked for this song. I always dig your arraingments and all that, but your vocals are generally hard for me to get my arms around.

Not that I think they are bad,It's kinda like people either dig Rush or not.

Why? Because, people either like and dig Geddy's voice or they don't!

It's the deal breaker for most. Musically, everyone say they rock.

And dude, you rock!!
:thu:

You know what I'm saying!! Right??

Rock on!!

I understand what you're saying...and I know you aren't drawing a direct comparison between my music, and Rush's...but it's amazing to me, just how frequently this happens. People have mentioned Rush in posts about my music at least 5 time. It's a strange coincidence. I should listen to more Rush music and get to the bottom of the mystery.

Maybe I do sound like Rush. Is that a good or a bad thing?

• Members

I understand what you're saying...and I know you aren't drawing a direct comparison between my music, and Rush's...but it's amazing to me, just how frequently this happens. People have mentioned Rush in posts about my music at least 5 time. It's a strange coincidence. I should listen to more Rush music and get to the bottom of the mystery.

Maybe I do sound like Rush. Is that a good or a bad thing?

In fact, I the only reason I've ever sought out Rush music is to satisfy some curiosity awakened by the line in that pavement song on brighten the corners where malkmus asks how Lee's voice got so high, and then wonders if he talks like an ordinary guy.

I like Pavement.

• Members

Doesn't sound like Rush to me. I'm trying to place it; it sounds maybe like an album cut off of the Crazy World of Arthur Brown or something. I don't think it's too simple, but the different parts could use a little more emphasis--it all runs together a bit, and that's dangerous when you've got a relatively simple progression and strumming pattern.

The guitar that's playing the chords is really harsh. It sounds like an electric guitar that's being played like an acoustic guitar. I'd swap it out for an acoustic, or play a leaner rhythm part. The electric lines in the background sound perfect.

For me, the vocals are right in the same sonic space as the guitar, and they really get lost in the brambles there. Again, a leaner guitar part might fix this. A higher melody might also work.

I do think this is my favorite of the work you've posted here.

• Members

Doesn't sound like Rush to me. I'm trying to place it; it sounds maybe like an album cut off of the Crazy World of Arthur Brown or something. I don't think it's too simple, but the different parts could use a little more emphasis--it all runs together a bit, and that's dangerous when you've got a relatively simple progression and strumming pattern.

The guitar that's playing the chords is really harsh. It sounds like an electric guitar that's being played like an acoustic guitar. I'd swap it out for an acoustic, or play a leaner rhythm part. The electric lines in the background sound perfect.

For me, the vocals are right in the same sonic space as the guitar, and they really get lost in the brambles there. Again, a leaner guitar part might fix this. A higher melody might also work.

I do think this is my favorite of the work you've posted here.

we did have trouble with the rhythm guitar. Part of the problem is that the guy who did the mixing on this lived in a different state...so he didn't have any real notion of what was going on when the tracks were recorded...and we didn't really think much about trying to piece things together while we were recording. There's an fingerpicked acoustic track that you here now and again. The thought when we recorded was that this would be the main rhythm track...but it just didn't work. It sounded like esteban was trying to invade my song.

I haven't been bothered by the guitar/vocal occupying the same sonic space...hadn't really noticed it...but I think perhaps the vocals do more to cover the guitar than the guitar does to cover the vocals...which is probably a good thing. When I wrote this song, I started off with a higher more expressive vocal melody...but it really cut against what I was going for. This song is simple and stark...and I think the vocal style works well (though you may be right that the instruments could have been better arranged to highligt it).

• Members

Is the Mary Magdelene the one on which you're looking for feedback?

The rhythm guitar is kind of sloppy. Sounds cool in context of full song, but when it's prominently featured, it's a problem to me. The second chord you slide down to is the one I have problems with.

It's a very depressing song, which is not a bad thing at all.

The low pitched vocals are kind of dragging me down, again, in a good way.

• Members

I've listened to this a few times, trying to pin it down. The first time I liked it and then the second time something wasn't right...but now I like it again. As has been mentioned, good sound engineering would really help. Your voice is deep and low and as such needs to be carefully accompanied by appropriate instrumentation and probably some eq, just so things don't interfere frequency-wise.

Your sound reminds me of Joy Division (especially your voice), Syd Barrett (in your song structure, overall mood and background guitars) and maybe Pavement. But you make it your own, which is good.

• Members

I've listened to this a few times, trying to pin it down. The first time I liked it and then the second time something wasn't right...but now I like it again. As has been mentioned, good sound engineering would really help. Your voice is deep and low and as such needs to be carefully accompanied by appropriate instrumentation and probably some eq, just so things don't interfere frequency-wise.

Your sound reminds me of Joy Division (especially your voice), Syd Barrett (in your song structure, overall mood and background guitars) and maybe Pavement. But you make it your own, which is good.

These comparisons certainly make me feel good. I get the joy division thing a lot, but I haven't heard the syd barrett comparison before...I'll have to dust off pipers at the gate of dawn.

While we might give the mixing of this track another go...its parts are pretty much set in stone. Everything I do is gonna be a bit rough around the edges...sometimes this roughness works better than others. Maybe one day, I'll figure out how to actually play my guitar.

Archived