2 simple songs....

mrmoe

• Members

Dude, shouldn't a song called "3 Chord Cowboy" be limited to, oh, I don't know, something in the neighborhood of 3 chords?

I do like the progression, though. I've got to say that the vocal is weak, or at least "distinctive". If you're trying to pitch these demos, you should go with a straight, smooth, unembellished vocal. You've got some serious trembles going, and that seriously takes the piss out of your sales pitch.

It's got a strong Eagles feel to it, but the performance is holding it back.

• Members

I realize that it seems rather foolish to get defensive about a line in a song...goes against the spirit of requested criticism...but three chord cowboy was meant to refer to the cowboy not the song...about a month ago, I was sitting in a bar in easthampton, massachusetts watching "open mic" night and thoroughly enjoying a 3 piece bluegrass group.....very good guitarist, competent (and beautiful) mandolin player, and an incredible fiddle player....after a few songs, they announced that this was their first time appearing in public and did not yet have a name....they then invited the audience to suggest one....the name "three chord cowboy" popped into my head, but after thinking about it for a moment, I decided it was too good a phrase to just give away....so I went home that night and wrote the chorus....I wonder what that group wound up calling themselves....

Archived