OT: Is it possible to get screwed over Paypal?

Pr3Va1L

• Members

So, just how secure is paypal?

I got someone interested in my Mp-2 with a local ad I put up on craigslist. The guy wants me to ship him the item and to pay me with Paypal.

How safe is it, and how can I be sure to not get screwed?

Thanks

• Members

That's what I do. Once the cash is in your hand it's in your hand. Not to mention if anything ends up {censored}ed it's on paypal. It's their job to verify people who get accounts. Not you. Different story if you deposit a bad money order at your bank.

• Members

sounds like a standard deal to me. Buyers always wire the money first. Once it clears, then you mail the item. Easy as that. Paypal is more secure than most any other payment system, because you have someone to go to if the deal goes south, and it's pretty secure. But like anything else it can be abused, and you can be screwed by incompetence.

But, a buyer offering or demanding to pay through paypal is usually a good sign.

• Members

Well, what I'm worried about is just I've heard of some poeple that who would pay from a bank account with no money in it and that paypal would just {censored} with the money in the seller's account so THEY don't get screwed.

I know if the money is in my bank account it's safe, but what if it's in my paypal account?
Or do I wait the ~8 days before paypal transfers the money to my bank?

• Members

If it's in your PayPal account, it's still not safe. The buyer can open a dispute, and PayPal will freeze the money until it's settled. I'd just make sure to tell the seller that you're holding the item until the PayPal funds clear your bank. It will only take 2-3 days. If they're not trying to screw you, they'll be OK with it.

• Members

i got screwed by paypal:mad: they suck never used it again after that incident...ill tell you the story..so.. i ordered on a web shop from finland a hoodie a belt and a shirt so i used paypal for payment and dunno what happen but it seems like they got my cash but never transfered it to the site so...after 30 days not having my order i email the site with no response after that i emailed paypal to see what was going on(im in canada so i thought 30days is long but its a damn long way from here so ill be patient) and... GUESS WHAT they told me that thay have the transaction in their computer and everything but since their policy is 30 days for refund...i never got my refund nor the item and the shop said they didnt ship me cuz they never had the payment 80 euro straight in paypal pockets :poke: so if you get screwed most likely its gonna be by these f*****:mad:

• Members

If you're the buyer, you can get screwed (seller never sends anything).

If you're the seller, you can't really get screwed... once the money shows up in your bank account, you're in business. :thu:

The only time this doesn't work is if someone cons you on a partial trade, where they send you some of the amount your product is worth, and promise another item in addition, and then they never ship the other item. I'm currently undergoing one of these right now (though it seems up to this point that the other guy is on the level).

Archived