When should you give up??

guitarbilly74

• Members

What age should you give up on ever "making it" as a musician?? For me it was when I turned 30. I pretty much quit my "serious" projects and started to play just for fun.

"Never give up and never surrender" By Grapthar's Hammer you shall be avenged!!!

• Members

The "Wizard of Waukasha" Les Paul is going strong and coming up on 90 years old,he's down to two fingers

on his left hand that work and aren't imoblized by arthritis he had his right arm

permenatly fused at the elbow so he could hold and play guitar and plays a gig in NY city every week, at 44 i'm just a pup and i play cause i love it and nothing else ,i've adopted Les Paul's creed it goes "My work is my hobby and my hobby is my work".:thu:

• Members

Didn't Slash started playing guitar after 30's or something? Dire Straits were playing bars for like 14 years before the first album hitted the streets and became a full blast success. Zappa had to go on National TV and play Bycicle.

As long as you're having fun, and have money for house wife and kids (optional) you're making it. Or you wanna be a pop star? Then I'd sign the 24 reply, or at least look 24 :)

• Members

Never-

but there is a big difference between success from a HOBBY standpoint and one of a Profession.

I played pro and now 20 years later just do covers for fun. There is no real money in it at $100-$150 a man usually. Enough to cater your hobby expenses.

As much as I like computing and music, I believe it has really removed the human bond and appreciation of ones efforts in the creation. Studio musicianship was like a pro athlete at one point and only the greatest players achieved at the highest levels. Today, drag and drop tracks is as artificial as steroids for an athlete boost.

Look how many appreciated music for decades, now even musicians fall for the no value added concept. Look at guys that "juiced up to play ball" we have no appreciation for their records since they cheated.

It's all part of the fun and challenges in music and arts. We just want faster ways to do things. Drummers will usually like to track their own drums on acoustic drums, and guitarists will track with real amps. You can do either, but which takes more work is more appreciated by the artist and not so much the listener these days.

Vocalists, usually had to be good enough to sing professionally. Today even the pro's lip sync :freak:

Get out the pitch correction tools- you don't really have to know how to sing!

Still, I love to play!

Archived