Repair Question - Cleaning an Amp

R Anderson

• Members

A couple weeks ago I sent out 4 amps for some repairs. All of them had issues ranging from popping, crackling, microphonic tubes to completely non-functional.

Turns out that 2 of them needed work like capacitor replacement and some other electro expertise. But the other two have been brought back to primo condition by "cleaning".

I intend to ask the tech upon their return what one needs to clean in order to keep a quality tube amp working - but I thought I would post this question here as well. Maybe I can "clean" my own amps and save my money for gas.

What does one clean?

Thank you.

R

• Members

A couple weeks ago I sent out 4 amps for some repairs. All of them had issues ranging from popping, crackling, microphonic tubes to completely non-functional.

Turns out that 2 of them needed work like capacitor replacement and some other electro expertise. But the other two have been brought back to primo condition by "cleaning".

I intend to ask the tech upon their return what one needs to clean in order to keep a quality tube amp working - but I thought I would post this question here as well. Maybe I can "clean" my own amps and save my money for gas.

What does one clean?

Thank you.

R

I clean all of my amps by using contact cleaner (like Deoxit) on scratchy pots and jacks. I also use compressed air to blow away any dust.

• Members

cleaning can also be known as preventive maint. They clean the controls, tighten pin sockets, test caps for ESR limits, and repair and clean jacks switches. My tech said that when I asked him. Cleaning or PM costs vary with tech time. Better to take to a good tech than to mess with things if you don't know how. Cleaning should only be req'd every couple years.

Archived