Revisited some old metal albums: Metal Church & Exodus

laurens

• Members

I'm recently listening to some old stuff, such as the debut album from Metal Church (out in 1986). It is still {censored}ing brilliant! Everything on that album just works for me, the songs, the tone of the guitars, speed, soloing, production, etc. But the later albums don't appeal to me as somehow that magic from the debut is not there IMHO.

So in my retro trip I also listened to the first Exodus album (Bonded by Blood). A very strong album for that time (1985). The guitar player, Gary Holt, laid down some serious riffing throughout all his albums. And again, the recent albums are good but missing something IMHO. Great player altough I don't like the sound on the clip with his guitar lesson (see below):

http://blogs.guitarworld.com/metalkult/videos/exodus/

Discuss.

• Members

both good albums.

that guy in exodus whos playin a dv8r has taken or covered up mustaines signature on the headstock somehow-lol

Ah, you have a sharp eye, hehe. I could have sworn it was some SV LTD model. Why does a pro like him play on a LTD and not the ESP version?

Anyway, back to topic. What do you think of the recent stuff.

• Members

Ive been listening to a rediculous amount of Exodus lately. Recently picked up Bonded By Blood, Fabulous Disaster, Tempo Of Teh Damned and Shovel Headed Kill Machine (owned The Atrocity Exhibition for a while) and they all just KILL man...love them...Holt is the man.

• Members

Exodus just rerecorded Bonded By Blood, Not sure when it's supposed to come out, but I was talking to Gary about a couple weeks ago, and he was saying it turned out great.

Not sure if they kept the original vocals, or redid them I forgot to ask.

• Members

Yeah, the first MC and Exodus albums are for sure classic. The Dark from MC is good also, but a little TOO produced--kind of lost some of the edge from the 1st album. Never really cared for their newer stuff. Some of it is ok I suppose. Check out REVEREND if you have the chance, pretty good stuff from former Metal Church vocalist David Wayne.

• Members

Yeah, the first MC and Exodus albums are for sure classic. The Dark from MC is good also, but a little TOO produced--kind of lost some of the edge from the 1st album. Never really cared for their newer stuff. Some of it is ok I suppose. Check out REVEREND if you have the chance, pretty good stuff from former Metal Church vocalist David Wayne.

Yeah I agree, I also don't like the drums on the Dark. But still they have some great songs scattered over their later albums. Too bad David Wayne is dead.

What do you guys think of the sound on that clip above?

• Members

Didnt realize Exodus has re-recorded Bonded BY Blood. Its too bad that most of the original band couldnt be a part of that but it will be interesting to hear the current line-ups interpretation of those tunes. I guess the live album they did a handful of years ago is similar to re-recording it in a way...updated drum, guitar and recording didnt hurt it thats for sure.

Archived