Soldano SLO vs. Soldano Avenger

Mr Lucky Pants

• Members

I owned an Avenger. I can't be that much help because I haven't owned an Slo. The Avenger is my 2nd favorite amp next to the Framus Cobra. If the Avenger had a clean channel and 2 masters like the Cobra than it would be a tough call. I would like to own one again.

• Members

What are the differences in tone between the two (I know about their features). Also, I've heard that the Avenger is like an SLO with the Warren Haynes mod on all the time...is that true?

I miss my Avenger. It didn't have a Treble Cut(Hayes) Mod , but a Deep Pot.

That was nice. Some of the Hot Rod's had a "Deep Mod' that was on all the time, but this one was adjustable.

It did have a Low input(like a 2203) that bypassed the first gain stage and gave it a darker tone which could be considered a Treble cut.

I would have kept it, but like the other guy, it was it or the Cobra.

• Members

I have an SLO, but haven't played the Avenger. I have heard that the Avenger is like an SLO lead channel with the WH mod engaged (which I have and just about never use)...I'm not sure this is true though. The transformers - Deyoung vs. Mercury Magnetics probably account for some differences as well. I know the Avenger uses boards that say Hot Rod, so I would think the similarlities may be closer to the Hot Rod series than the SLO. In that case, I would compare the Avenger to a hot-rodded JCM800 tone, which is basically how the Hot Rod series sound (JCM800 hit with a tubescreamer).

Archived