Deluxe Reverb Dud??

ace1979

• Members

So this is the second time I have tried to check out a fender deluxe reverb reissue (at a different store), and it seems that I am outsmarted by this amp. I have tried before and again today in both inputs on both channels and can't get any sound, played with on off switch and standby switch etc... any thougths, or is there some trick I am missing, or could it be that both that I have tried out where duds?? thanks

• Members

oh my god, your right, I never actually thought of that asking for help thought...wow, thanks for mentioning it...yeah I asked they where also perplexed, have had plently of tube amps before just curious if there was something else about the deluxe reverb I was unaware of...yeah let it warm up, speaker plugged in correctly etc...

• Members

thanks for the help so far guys, really brilliant. I have noticed more and more that this forum especially more so than other topics on HC has really started to become more about how many people can try to make others look dumb, or try to show that you are better and have more expensive gear (notice I didn't say a better player, or more educated, or skilled) than others on the forum who happen to do other things than just post on the internet. So if anybody does have any reasonable thoughts that would be great. thanks again.

• Members

and I do mean this, that my reply is not in actual response to anybody specific or comments, trust me many times I also get a good laugh at the smart ass comments on here, but i feel that the actual quality of information that is shared has really declined.

• Members

I own a original deluxe. I dont know about the re-issues, but I swear it takes literally a minute and a half for the thing to emit any kind of noise.

And the big one is the stby switch.

Both switches are in up position, make sure your not just flicking the ground lift switch. theres 3 in a row, and they can get confusing unless your looking directly at them.

Did you try different guitar, cord, etc?

• Members

thank! now that is what I am talking about, somebody with experience, sharing their info to help others, outstanding!! will have to give that all a try next time I get over to the shop. thanks, just really been wanting to check out the deluxe reverb. anybody have any experience comparing the deluxe reissue with the new princeton reissue...are they basically the same amp just differnce in speaker size, wattage, etc..do they have the same basic sound?, no princeton reissues around here yet that I have seen to check out

• Members
thank! now that is what I am talking about, somebody with experience, sharing their info to help others, outstanding!! will have to give that all a try next time I get over to the shop. thanks, just really been wanting to check out the deluxe reverb. anybody have any experience comparing the deluxe reissue with the new princeton reissue...are they basically the same amp just differnce in speaker size, wattage, etc..do they have the same basic sound?, no princeton reissues around here yet that I have seen to check out

You know, I honestly have no experience with the newer models. If memory serves me right, the princeton was the "little brother" minus the effects that the DR had. Its a smaller (8 inch? :confused:) speaker?

The deluxe is a great platform for dirty cleans. Through a cabinet, its a very, very nice amp. Remember this- they dont sound hot until you turn em up. Once you get to about 5-6 the volume doesnt get any louder, the amp just gets dirtier.

My favorite settings on my deluxe:
Treble- 1 oclock
Bass- 9 o clock
volume 1 oclock

The others really dont matter, unless your running the verb or tremelo.

But when you feel the switches in the back, they are in this order:

STBY POWER GROUND

as if you were looking at the front of the amp.

Let the power hang out for a few seconds, then flip the stby, itll take a little bit for it to come to life, if not, check the back speaker plug. Then check the guitar cord, etc. :thu:

• Members

I dunno. Maybe I've never been "outsmarted" by MY Deluxe Reverb. Just flipped the switch on and started playing. Maybe the tubes are bad in yours? Really your question is so ridiculous it's going to attract a lot of silly answers.

I also own a blackfaced late 70's Princeton Reverb. It's NOT the same as a Deluxe Reverb minus a second channel. For one thing the tone stack is a little more scooped and bass heavy, probably to accomodate the 10" speaker. Also the tremelo is a little more subtle in intensity. I find it way more useful and probably the best tremelo I've heard on an amp. Also the phase inverter circuit is a little underpowered and makes for a spongy out-of-phase distortion when driven that's different than the Deluxe. I modded my PR to resolve this more to DR specs...It's called the "Paul C mod" and it helps increase the B+ voltage to the PI tube. Really gives you more headroom and better driven sounds IMHO.

Princeton Reverbs also benefit from bigger speakers. I enlarged the opening in mine and replaced the 10" with a 12" Jensen Ceramic rated at 30 watts. Great cleans now and better headroom.

• Members

I mean, {censored}, its' a Deluxe Reverb for christ's sake. it's not like operating a nuclear sub.

The quality of questions in this place is really what gets me down. :thu:

There are only so many things it could be aside from a DOA amp - tubes, cord, guitar, pilot error.

Archived