Mesa Stiletto vs. Laney VH100R

andy43

• Members

Hey guys, I've had a very hard time deciding over these. I'm looking for a JCM 800'ish sound with a good clean channel. Of the two, which gets closer to the Marshall? I'm leaning towards the Stiletto, but how do bands like Oceansize get such killer tone with their Laneys? Also, is the ACE really that much better than the Deuce? The extra headroom of the Deuce would be a plus for cleans.

Thanks, Andy

• Members

You cannot beat the Laney clean channel. If the amp is running right and not through G12T75s, the tone is simply amazing. I tried the Mesa and I was impressed. But I still own my Laney...with EL34s for that classic British tone.

He's right about the cleans.

• Members

I love the gain on my GH50l, it is truly :rawk:. If you are looking for that JCM type tone, you'll get it with the Laney except with more gain on tap.

What's the price difference between the Mesa and the Laney your looking at?

• Members

Hmm, what speakers would you need for the Laney to sound good? I have G12T75s, but I might change them out. They are too mid scooped anyways.

My only fear about the Laney is that it would be too buzzy sounding. I hate that about Paul Gilbert's tone, and he uses Laneys. But can it be dialed out?

• Members

I love the gain on my GH50l, it is truly
:rawk:
. If you are looking for that JCM type tone, you'll get it with the Laney except with more gain on tap.

What's the price difference between the Mesa and the Laney your looking at?

I haven't found either yet, but the Laneys generally go for a little cheaper than the Stiletto.

• Members

Hmm, what speakers would you need for the Laney to sound good? I have G12T75s, but I might change them out. They are too mid scooped anyways.

My only fear about the Laney is that it would be too buzzy sounding. I hate that about Paul Gilbert's tone, and he uses Laneys. But can it be dialed out?

Well I suppose it depends alot on tubes too. When I first got my Laney it was a bit hissy, buzzy. Changed out the tubes, power and preamp and biased correctly now it growls beautifully.

I use a v30 loaded cab with mine but I primarily play hard rock and metal. A lot of people say the v30's are not good with a Laney but I disagree for the type of tunes I'm playing. A greenback v30 mix would probably be pretty good.

• Members

V30s sound great with the VH100R. Or CL80s would be a good choice.

Paul Gilbert, while I admire him greatly, needs a tone consultant. The reason why his tone sounds like that is because he has maxxed out the gain knob or is using JJ preamp tubes. JJs are bad with newer Laneys. These amps are so sensitive to preamp swaps it is amazing. The other thing is that you don't need a whole lot of gain. Much past 7 is getting retarded if you ask me. If you need uber tight, throw a TS-808 in front.

• Members

V30s sound great with the VH100R. Or CL80s would be a good choice.

Paul Gilbert, while I admire him greatly, needs a tone consultant. The reason why his tone sounds like that is because he has maxxed out the gain knob or is using JJ preamp tubes. JJs are bad with newer Laneys. These amps are so sensitive to preamp swaps it is amazing. The other thing is that you don't need a whole lot of gain. Much past 7 is getting retarded if you ask me. If you need uber tight, throw a TS-808 in front.

Spot on with the JJ's and how sensitive they are with tube changes:thu:. That's one thing I really like about the Laney. Because of this, their tone is not set in stone and you can really play around with it alot.

I tried JJ's and they were just awfull. Muddy, mushy and buzzy. I ended up with a stock TAD in v1, Tungsols in 2 & 3 and an EH in v4.

Would have used another Tungsol in v1 but for some reason the Laney didn't like it. Gave a rather loud hum to the amp.

I also used Winged C 6l6's in for power tubes.

• Members

Spot on with the JJ's and how sensitive they are with tube changes:thu:. That's one thing I really like about the Laney. Because of this, their tone is not set in stone and you can really play around with it alot.

I tried JJ's and they were just awfull. Muddy, mushy and buzzy. I ended up with a stock TAD in v1, Tungsols in 2 & 3 and an EH in v4.

Would have used another Tungsol in v1 but for some reason the Laney didn't like it. Gave a rather loud hum to the amp.

I also used Winged C 6l6's in for power tubes.

Yeah I have the Tungsol in v1 right now and I hate it. I think that these amps really like NOS tasty stuff or just some run of the mill 9th Gen Chinese higainers. I have Shuguang EL34Bs and they sound great too.

Do you ever use the drive feature on your Gain channel? I may have something wrong with my amp still. The clean is stellar so is drive on it too. Then the Gain channel with no drive is awesome. Then I hit Drive and WAY too much preamp saturation. I can't get it past 3 without it being flubby crap a la Paul Gilbert if not worse.

*Note, I bought my amp broken as all hell. I knew it would have problems.*

• Members

Yeah I have the Tungsol in v1 right now and I hate it. I think that these amps really like NOS tasty stuff or just some run of the mill 9th Gen Chinese higainers. I have Shuguang EL34Bs and they sound great too.

Do you ever use the drive feature on your Gain channel? I may have something wrong with my amp still. The clean is stellar so is drive on it too. Then the Gain channel with no drive is awesome. Then I hit Drive and WAY too much preamp saturation. I can't get it past 3 without it being flubby crap a la Paul Gilbert if not worse.

*Note, I bought my amp broken as all hell. I knew it would have problems.*

I tried a few different preamps in v1, the last being a penta labs with i believe is a Chinese 9th gen type?

Anyway after quite a few I settle on the stock TAD. The Tungsul in v2 still impacts on the tone enough to improve it significatly to the all stock set up.

Can't say I find that with the drive channel though. I have the gain channel cracked all the way and vary the drive from probably 4 to 7.

Sounds great to me but does have a hiss with the drive up that high. What other tubes you have in there.

• Members

I have a mesa Ace and a Laney Gh50L.

I mostly use the Ace, but the Laney is great, though less versatile. the Vh100R would be great though.

For a more beefy and thick semi-marshallish tone, go for the stiletto.

If u want more traditional EL34 crunch, go for the Laney

• Members

I have a mesa Ace and a Laney Gh50L.

I mostly use the Ace, but the Laney is great, though less versatile. the Vh100R would be great though.

For a more beefy and thick semi-marshallish tone, go for the stiletto.

If u want more traditional EL34 crunch, go for the Laney

That's what I was thinking. I'm trying to stray away from that modern sound as much as possible and I thought that Stiletto would still be a bit too modern for me. I'm trying to achieve a vintage-y gain for indie rock.

Which amp has cleans closer to an AC30?

• Members

That's what I was thinking. I'm trying to stray away from that modern sound as much as possible and I thought that Stiletto would still be a bit too modern for me. I'm trying to achieve a vintage-y gain for indie rock.

Which amp has cleans closer to an AC30?

to my ears, the stiletto doesn't sound 'modern' to me. It can still do classic sounds well. for heavy rock, its perfect.

i've never played an ac30 b4, but the cleans on the stiletto are very very nice. not twin reverb nice, but still very goood

• Members

Not even in the same league.

VH100R will absolutely school any mesa. By far.

Yes, ive played and heard them all.....

:thu:

Ok I got it, with that reply in the rap thread you ARE being super sarcastic tonight. :thu:

Atleast I hope. :freak::freak:

• Members

The mesa is a little darker to me,I had the stilleto deuce and a VH100.I liked the Mesa better more punch and low end.However the Laney is nice also but it is realy bright!!The Laney still has tons of low end but it not only lacks in the mid growl tones,but it is noisy as hell!!

• Members

I screwed up on my last post saying it lacks mid growl.That was not a good way of saying what I was trying to say.What I guess I am trying to say is that the mesa is overall bigger sounding to me!!!

That is one creepy avatar dude.

• Members

I tried a few different preamps in v1, the last being a penta labs with i believe is a Chinese 9th gen type?

Anyway after quite a few I settle on the stock TAD. The Tungsul in v2 still impacts on the tone enough to improve it significatly to the all stock set up.

Can't say I find that with the drive channel though. I have the gain channel cracked all the way and vary the drive from probably 4 to 7.

Sounds great to me but does have a hiss with the drive up that high. What other tubes you have in there.

Sadly I have some Russian 12AX7s in there right now. Mesa and Sovtek. Rather lifeless. I am pretty sure I need a whole setup of new tubes to really get the job done. That and replace the rest of the preamp sockets with high quality ceramic ones. My model is one of the first ones they made. Cool amp. Slowly but surely it is getting to be right for me. Now, if I can find a 2x12 V30 loaded cab to complement.

• Members

I have the VH100R and sold my Stiletto and Ace

It's easier to dial your tones for Mesa except the Mark IV. The VH100R is like the Mark IV. It can take some time to get the tone you want. The Laney has been my go to amp for years and nothings changed.

• Members

I screwed up on my last post saying it lacks mid growl.That was not a good way of saying what I was trying to say.What I guess I am trying to say is that the mesa is overall bigger sounding to me!!!

Of course it is, it's a Mesa! But is it more Marshall sounding is the question I still have. It seems to me like the Stiletto would be a little more reliable than the Laney.

• Members

Hey guys, I've had a very hard time deciding over these. I'm looking for a JCM 800'ish sound with a good clean channel. Of the two, which gets closer to the Marshall? I'm leaning towards the Stiletto, but how do bands like Oceansize get such killer tone with their Laneys? Also, is the ACE really that much better than the Deuce? The extra headroom of the Deuce would be a plus for cleans.

Thanks, Andy

definitly the laney

but why not go for a JVM?

the cleans are amazing, and the hi-gain and 800 sounds on that thing blew me away

Archived