dead valveking

wanky

• Members

You're not getting any power at all? I.E The standby light won't even turn on? I can think of 3 things...

Bad power cable

Bad fuse

Bad solder contact on the circuit board for the power input.

I had this same problem with mine. Just wouldn't turn on at all. Completely dead. Fuse was fine. Tubes were fine. I pulled the chassis out and started taking a look around, and found one of the worst solder jobs I've ever seen. I had to fix a contact strip, and it fired up again.

• Members

You're not getting any power at all? I.E The standby light won't even turn on? I can think of 3 things...

Bad power cable

Bad fuse

Bad solder contact on the circuit board for the power input.

I had this same problem with mine. Just wouldn't turn on at all. Completely dead. Fuse was fine. Tubes were fine. I pulled the chassis out and started taking a look around, and found one of the worst solder jobs I've ever seen. I had to fix a contact strip, and it fired up again.

did u just have to resolder things or what was the proccess involved?

• Members

If it's anything serious, remember that Peavey has a 5-year warranty so if he's the original owner he's covered. VKs aren't 5 years old.

Edit: Second reminder - don't {censored} around inside it because you'll probably void the warranty. If it's anything more serious than fuse(s) and tube(s), call 'em and take advantage of their great warranty service.

• Members

If it's anything serious, remember that Peavey has a 5-year warranty so if he's the original owner he's covered. VKs aren't 5 years old.

sweet

wow so my 5150II will be covered for another year

• Members

May not be on all models, though - you'd have to read the documentation. I was surprised when I bought my Windsor head on m-m-m-megaclearance for $180, got home and one of the things attached to it was detailing the 5-year warranty. Thanks, Peavey.

• Members

did u just have to resolder things or what was the proccess involved?

All I had to do was flow a bit of solder on the board. It was just specks. The only reason I did this was because I was not the original owner of the amp, so the warranty was void, and had to take matters into my own hands. I just went around checking for continuity until I found the culprit.

If your amp is still under warranty. Contact Peavey and they'll let you know where to send it.

Archived