ENGL Screamer or Fireball

icanshred

• Members

Ive been looking at getting a new amp and cant decide between an ENGL Screamer or Fireball head. (I dont like the Screamer combo as its open backed and i need that punchy bass).

I'm looking for a good high gain sound that will do old Metallica but with good cleans, well... useable but im more bothered about the gain.

I also would like to be able to get a good sound for blues to classic rock to old ACDCish crunch.

From what ive read / heard of these amps the fireball is great for high gain and has nice cleans but not much in between. And the screamer is much more versatile althought doesnt have as heavy distortion.

I was wondering if anyone owns either of these amps could give me any advice. I considered using an overdrive pedal to either boost the Fireballs cleans into a bluesy crunch or boost the Screamers distortion into the levels i want. Also how well do these amps respond to the guitars volume control?

I know it would be best to try them myself but i have no way of doing so so dont waste your time tellign me.

Thanks

Archived