My first clip EVER on here...Laney VC30 inside! Please rate my tone!

CoolDrum3

• Members

Ok, so I've never posted a clip on here before, but I was feeling adventurous tonight. So, for you listening pleasure...or not...I give you this. Please remember that I'm a drummer by trade!

Me playing crappy guitar...lol

Rig: Custom Built strat w/ CS 69 pickups > Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive > Laney VC30 212

The OD-2 was set with volume and tone at 12:00, gain at 3:00, and on the 'Turbo' setting. Laney was set on the 'Drive' channel with gain at 10, volume at 0.75, bass at 10, middle at 8, treble at 8, reverb at 7, and plugged into the 'Hi' input. I really like the harmonic content I'm getting. To my ears, I think it sounds very...complex...but I'm biased :D.

• Members

Ok, so I've never posted a clip on here before, but I was feeling adventurous tonight. So, for you listening pleasure...or not...I give you this. Please remember that I'm a drummer by trade!

Me playing crappy guitar...lol

Rig: Custom Built strat w/ CS 69 pickups > Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive > Laney VC30 212

The OD-2 was set with volume and tone at 12:00, gain at 3:00, and on the 'Turbo' setting. Laney was set on the 'Drive' channel with gain at 10, volume at 0.75, bass at 10, middle at 8, treble at 8, reverb at 7, and plugged into the 'Hi' input. I really like the harmonic content I'm getting. To my ears, I think it sounds very...complex...but I'm biased
:D

some of it sounds pretty good. maybe a little too much use of the neck pickup. what was your recording setup?

• Members

some of it sounds pretty good. maybe a little too much use of the neck pickup. what was your recording setup?

Recording was done with an SM57 miced 1" from the face of the cab about 2" in from the edge of the speaker. That went to a Presonus AudioBox USB into my laptop.

I'm thinking it might be because I had the volume at .75? I can't really open the amp up very much because I'll go deaf!

As for the neck pickup, it was only on for the first clip in the series. The rest was the bridge. Perhaps bass was too high, but from my perspective it sounds a lot better live.

• Members

Recording was done with an SM57 miced 1" from the face of the cab about 2" in from the edge of the speaker. That went to a Presonus AudioBox USB into my laptop.

I'm thinking it might be because I had the volume at .75? I can't really open the amp up very much because I'll go deaf!

As for the neck pickup, it was only on for the first clip in the series. The rest was the bridge. Perhaps bass was too high, but from my perspective it sounds a lot better live.

You basically just have to play with mic positioning. There are an endless amount of sounds there. As far as the volume being that low, you're basically getting all preamp distortion, which isnt the most musical....

• Members

You basically just have to play with mic positioning. There are an endless amount of sounds there. As far as the volume being that low, you're basically getting all preamp distortion, which isnt the most musical....

I agree that it isn't the ideal recording situation. I'm looking at getting a Blackheart soon that I can record with at low volumes. As far as mic positioning, I thought that it was pretty standard. Apparently, it just does not work well with this amp. I might try micing with the SM57 from the center of the speaker and placing a condenser mic further out, 5'-10' or so into the room. Does anyone have any tips?

• Members

I agree that it isn't the ideal recording situation. I'm looking at getting a Blackheart soon that I can record with at low volumes. As far as mic positioning, I thought that it was pretty standard. Apparently, it just does not work well with this amp. I might try micing with the SM57 from the center of the speaker and placing a condenser mic further out, 5'-10' or so into the room. Does anyone have any tips?

Theres no set method. what im saying is, play with it. if you only did one setting, there are a million other options.

Archived