Celestion Classic Lead 80 vs Warehouse CL80

surfcat

• Members

Actually, what does Warehouse charge to ship? Says something about a $4 handling charge-it won't give me the shipping charge unless I create an account first. I can get 15% off the Celestion with free shipping so that narrows the gap.

• Members

Actually, what does Warehouse charge to ship? Says something about a $4 handling charge-it won't give me the shipping charge unless I create an account first. I can get 15% off the Celestion with free shipping so that narrows the gap.

First, I haven't owned a CL80, but I do own 1 WGS ET65, and 2 Vet 30s, so I will comment on those first.

The Vet 30 is a nice speaker, not constructed as well as the V30, but does sound pretty dead on to my ears when compared to the V30s that came stock in my T-Verb.

The ET 65 looks to be a better constructed speaker, and sounds kick ass. I haven't had access to a G12-65 to compare it so I can't tell you how close they are, but I'd buy these any day at the price he's charging.

I've seen a couple people mention that on their own the CL80 aren't that great, but that when mixed with the Vet 30 they sound sweet.

As far as the $4 handling fee, yeah it's basically a hidden $4 in the actual cost of the speaker. So it's the price + $4 + shipping for each speaker.

• Members

First, I haven't owned a CL80, but I do own 1 WGS ET65, and 2 Vet 30s, so I will comment on those first.

The Vet 30 is a nice speaker, not constructed as well as the V30, but does sound pretty dead on to my ears when compared to the V30s that came stock in my T-Verb.

The ET 65 looks to be a better constructed speaker, and sounds kick ass. I haven't had access to a G12-65 to compare it so I can't tell you how close they are, but I'd but these any day at the price he's charging.

I've seen a couple people mention that on their own the CL80 aren't that great, but that when mixed with the Vet 30 they sound sweet.

As far as the $4 handling fee, yeah it's basically a hidden $4 in the actual cost of the speaker. So it's the price + $4 + shipping for each speaker.

Cool, thanks. So is shipping $12 (seem to remember that from another thread) plus $4?

I've seen the Classic 80 recommend a few times for a Jcm800 1x12, which is what I have so that's why I'm considering that. The G12-65 was the original speaker in these but mine came with a V30. If I were going that direction I'd definitely go Warehouse since the Celestion is $179 or $169-way more than $65. I can get the Classic 80 for $110.50 shipped vs about $80 for the WH.

• Members

Bump for non night owls. I'm starting to think the WGS 12-65 might be worth a try too but at 65w with a 50w Jcm800 1x12, is that pushing it? Which sounds better in a Marshall 1x12? I'm playing mostly classic rock using a pedal for more crunch.

• Members

Bump for non night owls. I'm starting to think the WGS 12-65 might be worth a try too but at 65w with a 50w Jcm800 1x12, is that pushing it? Which sounds better in a Marshall 1x12? I'm playing mostly classic rock using a pedal for more crunch.

If I was you I'd ask Ted Weber what speaker he has that sounds the least honky yet the most British that will take every watt that amp has to offer without complaining. Tell him you don't want the annoying honk and flub inherent in a 1x12.

If it was lower wattage I'd recommend one of his 1230-55 (Celestion black back clone). They're the fattest, sweetest sounding speaker I've heard in a 1x12 situation. Ask him if he's got something that sounds like that but can handle everything your amp can offer. :cool:

I'm sure his Fane AXA12 clones are pretty killer too, but I'm not as big on them (my Fanes) in 1x12 situations. In a 2x12 though, good lord. :love:

Then again I've got a darker amp, and with that JCM 800 a darker flavored speaker like the Fane might be a good call. :idea:

• Members

If I was you I'd ask Ted Weber what speaker he has that sounds the least honky yet the most British that will take every watt that amp has to offer without complaining. Tell him you don't want the annoying honk and flub inherent in a 1x12.

If it was lower wattage I'd recommend one of his 1230-55 (Celestion black back clone). They're the fattest, sweetest sounding speaker I've heard in a 1x12 situation. Ask him if he's got something that sounds like that but can handle everything your amp can offer.
:cool:

I'm sure his Fane AXA12 clones are pretty killer too, but I'm not as big on them (my Fanes) in 1x12 situations. In a 2x12 though, good lord.
:love:

Then again I've got a darker amp, and with that JCM 800 a darker flavored speaker like the Fane might be a good call.
:idea:

I emailed Ted Weber about 2 weeks ago and got no response.

I ordered the Classic 80 today so hopefully that will do what I need. Thanks for the replies.

Archived