New Amp Day (Bugera content)

Monstar

• Members

I used to have a 5150 combo, I liked it, got it for $400 used. Probably shouldn't have sold it. Anyway, the days of finding used 5150s in good shape for cheap (easily) are over, and I wanted a metal amp.

So I read about this thing and took the plunge.

I plugged it in for a little bit, one avatar is closed back with v30s, the other is open back with greenbacks, though if i use both with this thing I'll probably close it up.

First thing was the clean... Not very good, not clean at all really, but that's not why I bought this thing. So I hit the crunch button and JESUS! That's a hell of a lot of gain for a clean channel, sounds {censored}ing huge too. Nice.

Onto the lead channel... Very 5150, so much gain I don't even know what to do with it, left it at 2 mostly. My semi-hollow is HOWLING (my LP is in the shop.)

That's ok though, it sounds pretty good. A little bit muddy, not as tight as my old 5150, but I suspect a little tube action will fix that, it still sounds great.

Better than a $400 (I guess $500 now, I found mine new on the bay for 4) amp has any right to sound really.

Build quality is better than I expected, the tolex is definitely on the cheap plastic side, and the knobs feel pretty dinky, but otherwise it's solid. I'm not worried.

I'll record some clips when I feel like it, probably.

This is a fun amp.

DSC_0015-1.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/EnzoSangiorgio/DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0018-2.jpg

• Members

Glad your enjoying it. Yep I reckon mucking around with different tubes, bias etc would yield some good results.

Is a shame about the clean though. If you are going to offer a clean channel at least make it a usable one.

They did the same with there old GMX1200. I actually thought for solid state that the the gain channel was very good. The clean channel on the other hand was {censored}e.

• Members

The clean would probably sound better with a strat or something, my LP has mini humbuckers so that could work.

I've found that using the low gain input with the crunch channel, gain on 4 is just about perfect for rock.

this amp has very little headroom. when you crank the clean channel you get a great crunch though. i need to re tube mine soon... thinkin jj's for power and haven't got a clue which would be best for pre's.

Archived