How to Tube Rectifier?

bjb245

• Members

Just the reg. 40w 1x12 deluxe(hot rod) Tube Preamp )3-12ax7 s) with 2 6l6 s for the power amp.

Ah o.k. a HRD. Well, the first problem you are going to run into with that amp, is that the power transformer does not have a 5v filament tap for a tube rectifier.

The short and undetailed list of problems you would have to surmount would be:

1. You would either need a new power transformer or a filament transformer to supply the heaters for the recto tube.

2. You would need to modify the PCB to remove the SS rectifier diodes and re-route them to a tube rectifier.

3. You would need to find space on the chassis to drill a hole for an octal socket for the the rectifier. This means that you would need enough space inside the chassis too to be able to run the wires and not have the tube socket come into contact with the PCB or anything else it is not supposed to.

For what it is worth, i honestly do not think this modification would be worth it in any way. Basically, it would probably be less work for you to pick up another amp that had a tube rectifier already than to go through the hassle of putting one in that amp.

-chris

• Members

Ah o.k. a HRD. Well, the first problem you are going to run into with that amp, is that the power transformer does not have a 5v filament tap for a tube rectifier.

The
short
and undetailed list of problems you would have to surmount would be:

1. You would either need a new power transformer or a filament transformer to supply the heaters for the recto tube.

2. You would need to modify the PCB to remove the SS rectifier diodes and re-route them to a tube rectifier.

3. You would need to find space on the chassis to drill a hole for an octal socket for the the rectifier. This means that you would need enough space inside the chassis too to be able to run the wires and not have the tube socket come into contact with the PCB or anything else it is not supposed to.

For what it is worth, i honestly do not think this modification would be worth it in any way. Basically, it would probably be less work for you to pick up another amp that had a tube rectifier already than to go through the hassle of putting one in that amp.

-chris

Kinda figured it would be somethin like that. Def not worth it!

Thanks

• Members

For better compression/sustain and earlier breakup.

Sorry, but a tube rectifier alone is not going to make that huge of a difference on those fronts anyhow, certainly not enough to go through the hassle.

I would suggest a nice OD pedal, and maybe a Dynacomp or something along those lines would serve you better and make more of a difference.

-chris

• Members

look for the reactive rectifier by THD

You don't need to drill any holes or destroy anything. Its about the size of one of those thick erasers.

Seriously though? That just looks most likely to be a regular old SS rectifier with a power resistor jammed in for some "sag".

If he is looking for the things he mentioned, i honestly think that for the HRD, doing anything to the rectifier is going to be a waste of time. $50-60 for the THD unit, and then the labor to have a tech install it?

He could get a tube screamer and a compressor for that much money, and in the long run, they would probably turn out to prove more useful and flexible, particularly because they can be used on any amp without a tech needed.

That is just my $.00

-chris

• Members

A tube rectifier only regulates the voltage supplied to the amp and will not give you more compression or sustain. It will only produce more "sag" which is not what you are looking for. I have to agree with Chris because a compressor pedal or overdrive unit will get you where you want to be and in the long run if you don't like them its no big deal. while if you go through the hassle of modding the amp you run the risk of shocking yourself :eek: or you not liking the results, which will lead to more hassles.

Archived