Fender Blues Jr BIAS question

bluesboy

• Members

HI all. I just won a fender blues jr on ebay, and ive been reading up on it from various sources. Apparently these guys are biased really hot, without a whole lot of difference in sound, but it kills the power tubes alot faster.

The easiest way to change is this is to change some resisitors.... I guess my specific question is which resistor to change where, and what is a good value resisitor to use?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but i couldn't really find what im looking for. and yes, ive heard of BillM, but his site doesn't tell you what to put where, (at least that I could find) because then why would you buy from him?

So any input on the subject? Do I need any bat wings or mouse bones? (joke for someone here)

• Members

HI all. I just won a fender blues jr on ebay, and ive been reading up on it from various sources. Apparently these guys are biased really hot, without a whole lot of difference in sound, but it kills the power tubes alot faster.

The easiest way to change is this is to change some resisitors.... I guess my specific question is which resistor to change where, and what is a good value resisitor to use?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but i couldn't really find what im looking for. and yes, ive heard of BillM, but his site doesn't tell you what to put where, (at least that I could find) because then why would you buy from him?

So any input on the subject? Do I need any bat wings or mouse bones? (joke for someone here)

Is it a greenboard or creamboard?

It's really easy to do, I've done 2 greenboards, haven't done a creamboard, I guess enough haven't burned up for one to reach my door yet. I found replacing the R31 resistor which is a 22k with a 33k worked pretty good, I went higher looking for more clean and tried a 39K but liked 33K better and the tubes will run cooler. Bill recommends a 27K I tried one but I came to the conclusion a 33K was my best choice.

• Members

Is it a greenboard or creamboard?

It's really easy to do, I've done 2 greenboards, haven't done a creamboard, I guess enough haven't burned up for one to reach my door yet. I found replacing the R31 resistor which is a 22k with a 33k worked pretty good, I went higher looking for more clean and tried a 39K but liked 33K better and the tubes will run cooler. Bill recommends a 27K I tried one but I came to the conclusion a 33K was my best choice.

The "best" value for the resistor is going to vary depending on the tubes (as well as personal taste), which is why some people like a pot, so they can adjust it for a particular tube without swapping out a bunch of resistors.

• Members

The "best" value for the resistor is going to vary depending on the tubes (as well as personal taste), which is why some people like a pot, so they can adjust it for a particular tube without swapping out a bunch of resistors.

:thu: True, if I had a variable handy I would have put one in. But it only takes me about 30 seconds to change the resistor. And with my substution box I can dial in any restance.

• Members

Mine has the pots. Bill installed them himself...but I'm too lazy to get a bias tool for EL84s so I just swap out the tubes without biasing or matching. My amp sounds great and I've used the same pair of Mullards in there for 2 years now.

Not to worry, there really is no exact bias setting but a working range. Some people tend to try using the bias as a tone control, which it isn't. Usualy they end up running it to hot and the tubes suffer. I still don't understand why Fender biased it so hot, I think they know better. The 2 BJ's I've rebiased sound just as good and maybe better than before. If they were trying to squeeze out every last watt, they should have built a better amp to start with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Radioshack sucks. But unless you have a good local electronics shop in your area it's probably your best bet and is ok for the occasional ordinary resister. If you're buying more than a few or something more "specialized" mail order is probably better but it's expensive for just a couple resistors.

As far as the wattage, if you talking about a resistor to adjust the grid bias voltage, 1/2 watt is fine.

• Members

Radioshack sucks. But unless you have a good local electronics shop in your area it's probably your best bet and is ok for the occasional ordinary resister. If you're buying more than a few or something more "specialized" mail order is probably better but it's expensive for just a couple resistors.

As far as the wattage, if you talking about a resistor to adjust the grid bias voltage, 1/2 watt is fine.

cool, thanks much

Archived