NAD!!!! and some questions!!!

ManAndDjinn

• Members

In about 3 hours, I'm going to be picking up a 5150 for $500, but I have some concern. The guy selling it told me that two of the four tubes were KT88s and the others were 6L6s, which I think is awesome, but a friend of mine who's pretty amp savvy says that's a bad idea. The guy said it's properly biased (he took it to a tech a few months ago). Anyway, what do you guys think?

Also, the tolex is in bad shape and I plan on retolexing it orange to match my future cabinet, any recommendations for places to get tolex for a decent price?

• Members

KT88s draw a LOT more heater current than 6L6GCs (1.6a vs. .9a), and 5150s don't come stock with adjustable bias.

I'd make sure to check out the mod work that's been done to make sure that it's not a complete hack-job before you give him ANY cash. And, considering that it's been modded (and probably not professionally), and the tolex is trashed, I'd be hesitant to even give him $500...there could be a LOT of {censored} wrong with the amp.

• Members

I would ask him if they are JJ power tubes in there. I know Bob from eurotubes was selling dissimiliar quad sets for a while. The tubes he sold worked at the extreme of their operating specs to work with the fixed bias of the 5150's. I;ve always understood this to be a bad idea, but don't personally know any horror stories.

• Members

Well, I mean, it's not TRASHED trashed, it's got a few tears here and there, I made it sound worse than it is. Otherwise it's in great condition from what i've seen. He mentioned that when he got it, he took it to a local tech (he does amazing work, one of th best guy in nashville) and the tech said everything inside is in great shape. I'm gonna check it out much more when I meet up with him.

Archived